What does your grade schooler struggle with?

in school?

My oldest struggles with math, and comprehension (reading).

she just cannot seem to grasp the concepts of math - we're working on extra sheets and things from the teacher (seeing an improvement thankfully).

and comprehension...well she reads too fast. and doesn't let it sink in before trying to answer.

middle dd....only in grade one and everything is fun so far.

hypermamaz

Asked by hypermamaz at 6:17 PM on Jan. 26, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• my kindergartener struggles the most with numbers...she knows her numbers and can count into her hundreds...but she has problems like when it comes to "what comes after...12" she cant do it unless she counts 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10-11-12----13!!!!! but where working on it!! slowly but surely!!
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 6:21 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

• My son is very advanced academically. He is the youngest in his class by a year so the kids are not always very nice to him. They get frustrated this kid who is younger than them is more advanced academically. He doesn't brag but they know he is pulled out for enrichment everyday during reading and math. He tends to hang out with the 1st graders at recess rather than his 2nd grade class.

Anonymous

• well la dee da....you MUST have read the question wrong.

my dd despises math as well....but does it.
    Anonymous

• My daughter's number one weakness is writing.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:48 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

• I put my childs struggle out there sorry my kid is smart. Actually I am not I am sorry you are so threatened by it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:03 AM on Jan. 27, 2010

• Try these math games. Math Blox is pretty fun.

http://www.iknowthat.com/com
    0123456

Answer by 0123456 at 12:06 AM on Jan. 27, 2010

• Math, reading comprehension and lately science which is shocking! That's usually his strong subject!
    Starfire73

Answer by Starfire73 at 1:53 AM on Jan. 27, 2010

• A little context into the pot: Young boys and girls brains develop in different areas at vastly different paces.
    For example, girls' brains develop about 6 years ahead of boys in areas related to language and fine motor skills (reading and writing etc). Boys, on the other hand, develop targeting and spatial memory (maths etc) about 4 years ahead of girls. So the struggles could be simply developmental related.
    A good article on it can be found here: http://bit.ly/5GW64U

littlehero

Answer by littlehero at 10:08 AM on Jan. 27, 2010

• ""I put my childs struggle out there sorry my kid is smart. Actually I am not I am sorry you are so threatened by it.""

now THAT is funny. in a discussion about our childrens weaknesses in school - you posted how wonderful your child is. someone commented that you didn't read the question and then have to say that those of us whose children struggle are THREATENED?? ha ha ha.... nice. with an attitude like that.....good luck.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 11:17 AM on Jan. 27, 2010

• My daughter only problem is not getting into trouble at school.
    happynewyorker

Answer by happynewyorker at 3:15 PM on Jan. 27, 2010