Should I give my congested 19 month old benedryl for a 2 1/2 hour plane ride?

I'm under the impression that congestion leads to more ear and sinus pain during take off and landing. Would benedry help?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:36 PM on Jan. 26, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Just give him a bottle/breast/pacifier. Do not need to medicate your child.

Answer by louise2 at 6:40 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

• the last time i flew with a toddler that had a cold we ended up in the er with croup and a double ear infection..not to mention she screamed at the top of her lungs for the WHOLE descent...

so i would ask your dr what to do...

good luck! i hope you dont get so unlucky...
    Soniam301

Answer by Soniam301 at 7:19 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

• Benadryle won't really help unless it's allergy related...

They're not technically supposed to do this, but I've known lots of nurses and doctors who give the nod to using it for plane rides just to help the little one rest.
    Anonymous

• Benadryl WILL help relieve the congestion.. I've used it for years and we give it to my daughter when she's REALLY uncomfortably congested. (not if she just has a sniffle or a little cough, only when its affecting her adversely)
    In the case of an airplane ride, congestion can make the pressure more intense in the ears.. I would say if the child is really uncomfortable anyways then benadryl can't hurt, just make sure you give the correct dosage, and bring along saline drops and an aspirator (the suction thingy) to clear out the nose before takeoff. If nothing else it will help your child to rest on the trip.
    kristal2146

Answer by kristal2146 at 11:06 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

• Thanks for the helpful answers. I talked to my pharmacist, he said to give her 1.5 ml. I was going to give her a bath as well and use the saline drops and aspirator in the tub and before take off. She's very congested. She can't sleep. She can't suck her thumb without sacrificing air and thats pissing her off. At least its a short flight. Thanks again-OP.

Anonymous