is it early or am i the only one that thinks this?

so my baby is 4 1/2 month and she has already got her first tooth. she started gettting it at the end of 3 months. is that normal? does that mean i can start serving her things that arent as mushed up anymore(b/c i make her baby food) she's now get 2 more teeth. and she wakes up in the middle of the night in pain, crying and shes fussy. any ideas on what i can do to help her? she wont use a teething ring, and she tries to eat the spoon. I feel so bad for her

Lovin_mybaby5

Asked by Lovin_mybaby5 at 6:40 PM on Jan. 26, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Try teething tablets, I think the brand name is hyland's.
    It's not too early for teeth. Mine had a couple at about 3 or 4 months. My cousin's dd got her first one at not quite 2 months, and they were pretty surprised. Her doctor said it's early, but not that unusual really.
    Anonymous

• The presence of teeth is not an indicator of readiness for solids. Sitting up unassited, losing the tongue thrust reflex especially, are indicators of readiness. The last is the ability to reach for food deliberately, pick up large hunks in a fist, and bring it to the mouth to taste.   http://www.borstvoeding.com/voedselintroductie/blw/engels.html

amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 6:47 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

• Stay with the mushy stuff. My LO got teeth around then too. Grahm crackers are a good thing cuz they are hard enough for the LO to bite on BUT they turn mushy once they get gooped on!!! My kids all loved them! (and they're cheap!!)
    Anonymous

• thats a good idea last anon. i love the whole ceap thing
    Lovin_mybaby5

Answer by Lovin_mybaby5 at 7:07 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

• my little on got her first tooth 3 months old, just because she can mush food, does not mean her tummy can handel it. and dont use orgal or tablets because it numbs it, so it could numb the back of her throat, imo its to risky, my lil girl likes to suck on cold wash clothes.gl
    newmom092009

Answer by newmom092009 at 7:36 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

• my sister was born with a tooth so no it's never too early and keep her on the mushy stuff you can use teething drops which is what i use and it doesnt numb anything it just calms them down and will help her sleep if shes tired other wise it'll just take the pain away
    Anonymous

• First, a question, why is she eating baby food? It's best to wait until 6 months to introduce solids. Of course there are exceptions....just wondering what the reason for starting so early was.

Some babies are born with a tooth or two. It's not uncommon for a 3 month old to sprout 2 teeth either. Mine are late teethers (11 months and older). Just so long as they get teeth.

I'd also like to echo what amileegirl said about the readiness cues.

banana-bear

Answer by banana-bear at 9:32 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

• On the question about y she started baby food early is prolly the same reason I did....my lil girl is a eater her stomache doesn't do good with the cereals....also my my doc said as long as she eats good n its easy on her belly its fine....not only that but I just knew my baby was OK with it, mothers know their babies better than anyone else!

Good luck with the teething mine is also 4 1/2 months n hasn't had any sign of teeth yet! But I too agree that the tablets would prolly be best, I have friends who give their babies them & hers is only 3 1/2 months!
    KileighsMom

Answer by KileighsMom at 10:59 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

• If your daughter's Dr is already recommending solids it is time to find a new Dr.
    Anonymous

• My son is 13 months and his last 4 are just under the skin. He almost as many teeth as his 27 month old twin brothers.

As for pain, you give alittle tyenol. When a doctor prescribes tyenol they go by weight not age. I.E. if your LO weight 15lbs give 1/2 teaspoon. I started giving all my kids a dose of tyenol right before bed when they were teething. With our youngest for about 2 months straight, every night he got tyenol. Why? Because that is when they teeth are going to hurt worse because she is relaxed.

palexander

Answer by palexander at 11:06 PM on Jan. 26, 2010