Do you think pit bulls are an inherently bad/aggresive breed of dog?

Do you think pit pulls are bad/aggresive by genetic nature? Do you think they are bad dogs to have around small children? Would you have one as a family pet? Why or why not?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:46 PM on Jan. 26, 2010 in Pets

• they were bred for fighting and killing. i would definitely not have one near a small child. no matter how well trained or raised, they can still turn on a child and kill the child. it is something NO ONE can train out of them.
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 6:48 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

• No they are not bad dogs. It is how you raise the dog that makes them bad. Rottweilers are suppose to be bad dogs too. But they are not.

Answer by louise2 at 6:49 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

• The Dog Whisperer will tell you that Pit Bull's get a bad rap. It's the person NOT the dog!
    LuvBug3

Answer by LuvBug3 at 6:51 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

• anyone who does not believe in genetics is a fool.
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 6:51 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

• Of course i don't think pit bulls are bad dogs. that's silly. I had a pit bull and i can't wait until the day that i can own another one. They are wonderful dogs. Smart and loyal and WONDERFUL with kids. ...IF you train them right. Just like ANY OTHER dog.

outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 6:52 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

• id be worried honestly about a genetic tendency towards aggressive behaviour...for MANY MANY years pit pulls have been raised as fighting and/or guard dogs and that is a very hard trait to breed out of an animal, and you cant just raise it right and expect that to fix a genetic tendency. I would not ever have one around my kids, of any age!

Anonymous

• I agree with: sati769leigh
    they were bred for fighting and killing. i would definitely not have one near a small child. no matter how well trained or raised, they can still turn on a child and kill the child. it is something NO ONE can train out of them.

Me: I watched a documentary where a couple had two pitbulls that were suppose to have been well trained. They had a 4yr old child. The child was left unattended with them one morning and the two dogs killed and ate him. The poor child suffered and died in the hospital. They do have really bad reputations and with all the stories, those alone would make me want to pick a different breed of dog and a family pet. Definitely do your research on the breed before you bring one home to your family, especially for the safety of your children. Some dogs just have it in there breed. Good luck:)
    Proudmom_28

Answer by Proudmom_28 at 6:59 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

• No, I don't. My husband does. It's a source of many disagreements between us.
    tracylynnr67

Answer by tracylynnr67 at 7:00 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

• It's always about how a dog is trained and treated. Pitt Bulls are beautiful just like every other doggie and they are great to have in a family w/kids, if you have the proper time to spend on them and you treat them right.
    mom2BOYZnDad

Answer by mom2BOYZnDad at 7:00 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

• i have one, and have raised her from a puppy. Shes beautiful, and sweet, and plays nice with the cat! Shes great with my kids, and has never showed any aggression or anything weird. I would never leave her alone with my kids, but i wouldnt leave ANY type or breed of dog alone with my children.
    Bran6903

Answer by Bran6903 at 7:03 PM on Jan. 26, 2010