Any Chow or Chow Mix Owners out there?

We just recently adopted a dog from our local animal shelter. We were told she is a 6 year old spayed chow and ? mix, we arent sure what she is mixed with but our best guess is a golden retriever or a labrador.
Anyways, I am wondering if she is going to be aggressive. I was reading around online and was seeing some pretty scary stuff about chows being very aggressive and not good around other dogs EVER and other horror stories.
We visited her twice in the shelter and played with her in the dog enclosure, she was (still is!) a super sweet girl, NEVER barks, is very good around our 3 kids youngest being 16 months oldest being 8. She does however chase our cats but just harmless chasing so far and she did growl at another dog on our walk the other day but other than that she has been a VERY good doggie!
Anyone own a chow or chow mix that could give me some info on your dogs temperment?
THANKS!

jlizgar

Asked by jlizgar at 6:54 PM on Jan. 26, 2010 in Pets

• I had a chow/retriever mix and she was the most loving, protective dog we ever had. She was fantastic with the kids and with strangers. Hope this helps Mama. Congratulations on your new pet Hon!!!!
    Laurieanne42

Answer by Laurieanne42 at 7:05 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

• I had a purebred Chow for 17 of his 18 years of life, and he was the best dog I've ever owned. He rarely barked, and when he did I knew something was wrong. He loved babies and children, was protective of the family and home without being aggressive, and put up with a house full (6 cats, 5 other dogs) of other pets. Chows and retrievers are both smart dogs. Chows are also labeled as stubborn, but the way to get around it is to give them a good reason to do things your way rather than get in a power struggle with them. The single most important thing ~ and I can't stress this enough ~ is to socialize yours constantly. They are one owner dogs by nature, and you need to CONSTANTLY introduce them to other people and animals. Being smart, they learn to get along, or at least tolerate others, without any aggression issues.

Congrats on your new pet ~ Warning ~ being loved by a Chow tends to ruin you for other breeds :-)
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 7:55 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

• I grew up having chows and a chow-cocker spaniel mix, the only problem we ever had with them was one ups guy, NONE of our dogs ever liked him, so I think it was the guy, not the dog, they are very smart, loyal dogs, but I know we have had problems with "hot spots" when the weather got warm, and in the winter they seemed happiest and the most energentic. Congrats to your new family member, and like the post above remember to make your daily walks a socializing experience.
    itsallgood0100

Answer by itsallgood0100 at 10:01 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

• We had a chow mix and I read a lot of the same stuff. She was a very loyal dog in that she would not tolerate other dogs around our home or us. We had to walk her early in the am or later in the evening when we would not encounter other people and dogs. People could not bring their dogs over when they visit. I doubt she would ever harm anyone or any animal but she would bark and growl and make the situation uncomfortable. She was a great dog and well worth the extra work. I have a lab mix and she has some of the same traits but not the the degree of the chow mix.
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 10:52 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

• I have had Pure bred chows, and chow mixes in my life. I currently have a Brindle Pit/Chow mix. Everyone told me that she was going to be vicious but she isn't mean at all. She is a very sweet girl. She will bark and growl when someone pulls in the driveway, or knocks on the door, but that's because she feels it's her job to protect the house. Once the friends are inside, she is one of the most loveable dogs I have ever had. I wouldn't worry about it. If she is great with your kids, and she is a good dog, I'm sure she will be just fine.
    Punky_1981

Answer by Punky_1981 at 12:05 AM on Jan. 27, 2010

• You couldn't pay me enough to have one.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:14 AM on Jan. 27, 2010

• My grandfather used to breed Chow Chows. He was mauled by one and quit. It was an un-neautered male dog, though, which would explain why it attacked him.

We currently have a chow/border collie mix who is the sweetest thing. He's never hurt anything, he can walk without a leash, and won't even leave the front yard if you leave the door open.
    Nzumbe

Answer by Nzumbe at 10:48 AM on Jan. 27, 2010

• My aunt and uncle had a Chow that they got as a small puppy, when my cousin had a baby she was raised around the chow, then one day when the child was 8 or 9 and the dog was in her teens, the girl ran to gramma and on the way the Chow attacked her. The protective of the owner made her attack a child she knew.
    Anonymous

• We have recently became parents of a 3 yo Golden Retriever/Chow mix, he was found dumped at my MIL"s farm this past Nov. We brought him home and fell in love with him right away! We took him to the vet a week later and found out he had heartworms, lyme disease and intestinal worms. Not to mention covered in ticks and fleas!
    We have treated him for all that(700$ later, much thanks to the vet for payment plan!) and he is doing wonderfully!
    I read up on the Chow mixes too and all I can conclude is that it all depends on that particular dogs personality. So maybe 1 chow/golden mix could have more of a chow personality, the other more of a golden attitude!
    Buddy is the best dog, all around, that I have ever had. He is a loving, smart, loyal, good protector. Great with the kids and my 11 yo cat( cat doesnt like other animals at all but has taken to Buddy very well)!
    GL !
    mommyshell2004

Answer by mommyshell2004 at 5:07 PM on Feb. 25, 2010

• I have now had 2 chow mix dogs. The first one we believe was a chow/golden mix. I got her a a puppy. My vet at first was upset because I had young children. He advised me to bring her around young children and let them handle her as much as possible. This really worked! She turned out to be the gentlest dog ever. My vet was amazed and loved her. She loved him too. She did not always like other dogs, especially certain breeds. Unfortunately, we lost her to cancer when she was 8.
    After a year we adopted another chow mix. We believe he is a border collie/chow mix. Again, he is very gently and sweet. He is now 5. He is a mush! He gets along with most dogs. I brought him to training class as a puppy and socialized him with children and dogs. I would recommend taking your dog to a good trainer. I think the gentleness comes from the chow background. Good luck with your new addition.
    marianne29

Answer by marianne29 at 4:04 PM on Jan. 22, 2014