bottles

i have a 4th month old baby who has been ebf but now won't take a bottle,how can i get her to take a bottle? i do plan to still pump, just let my husband feed her too, and an ocasional date night.

newmom092009

Asked by newmom092009 at 7:29 PM on Jan. 26, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Try having someone else give the bottle beside you with out you in the room. Babies who nurse associate mom with a boob and not a bottle. Try it and see if it works.
    coala

Answer by coala at 7:34 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

• last weekend i left my mom in charge, but 4 hours later my mom called saying she would not eat...
    newmom092009

Answer by newmom092009 at 7:39 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

• Sometimes they just won't take them and will wait for mom to get home. If you know that 4 hours in the max you can be gone, then limit your outing to 4 hours. I never left for more than 2 hours with my first and 3 with my second until they were eating a good amounts of solids.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 8:16 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

• Maybe she doesn't like the nipple, could you try a different shape. Also, moving the nipple across her lips or gently in and out of her mouth might stimulate her sucking response, as well as running your finger lightly against the underside of her chin- like along the jaw line. These are tricks I have heard to make a baby want to suck. I assume she is being fed breast milk from a bottle? Otherwise it may be the formula itself. Did you mom wait until it was time or even past time for a feeding? Maybe feeding her 20 minutes or so early before she has gotten really hungry and cranky would help her be more calm and willing to accept the bottle. Keep trying different things that you think may do the trick and hopefully she will take to it eventually. I know those moments away are precious when you are a Mama doing ebf. Good luck!
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 8:24 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

• You can try different bottles - - we tried 5 different brands before we found one that my son would take - - it ended up being one that was shaped like a boob :)
    Try to get a feeding in right before you leave to give her the maximum amount of non-hungry time while you're away. . . . can be tricky with feeding on demand, but always worth a shot :)
    You can also relax a little - - babies will not starve themselves. If you're only gone for 4 hours, and she doesn't eat for Grandma, all that means is that she's going to be hungry and nurse like crazy when you get home. If she's hungry enough while you're out, she'll take the bottle.
    TiffanyMarie80

Answer by TiffanyMarie80 at 10:47 PM on Jan. 26, 2010