How would you feel if your daycare provider did this?

We have been taking our kids to this lady since Nov. At first she wasn't sure it would be temporary at all, then she offered us Thursdays as a regular day to bring our kids because one of her families had a baby. So one day she asks me,"not to be rude but my parents are asking if your kids are staying, are they?" It kind of bothered me. I asked her if she wanted them, that's how thursdays came up(we don't need full time). So we get a call today from her asking if we want to bring our kids anymore because the people with the baby(who arranged for mon, tues, weds) decided they want thursday too. Wow. I felt if our kids were such a bother to her to begin with she could have simply said NO day one. Even sadder my kids LOVE going there and are attached now. We told her that she can have her spot. We are embarrassed, and angry and feel like it was a very passive aggressive way to do things.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:38 PM on Jan. 26, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I am sure that I'd feel offended and hurt, and sad. It was OK if she asked you if they were staying, she may not have known, but then to ask you to not come after all seem awkward.

Answer by Bmat at 7:42 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

• it was super passive aggressive and unprofessional, but I work with child care providers daily and know that almost nobody provides care for one day a week because it eats up a full time slot
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 7:42 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

• It would upset me, but you have to understand if she can only have so many kids, daycare providers want to get full time permanent spots filled up, because it means more income for them, not to mention stability. So as much as it bother's you, try to understand where she's coming from, because she's probably not just doing this for the fun of it... :)
    sandypops

Answer by sandypops at 7:43 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

• Ugh. It was awful. There are better ways to approach that conversation. I'd post a review of your experience on YELP or anywhere else Epinions, etc. so other parents can get a feel for the place. I'd just let it go but you got a raw deal. I'm sorry. : (
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 7:44 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

• I think she just wanted a commitment from you is all. Why don't you ask her if another day is better for her that works for you since your kids liked going so much? I think she was just asking you first because as a business she wants to bring back an old family, but did not want to cut ties with you. Good childcare is hard to find. If you liked her, try to make it work with her.
    jamesonjustines

Answer by jamesonjustines at 7:44 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

• The point is SHE offered the one day a week not us. We were doing part time, and SHE could have said no. We are MORE than aware that she can only have so many kids, that's why the arrangement was made.
    Anonymous

• I agree with peanutsmommy, most daycares will pick full time care over one day a week, it's how they do business.
    newmomma14

Answer by newmomma14 at 8:02 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

• I think Id be a bit confused cuz it doesnt really make sense to me as stated.

I think Id state how I felt and go from there, be it finding new or working something more stable out with her so you all know whats going on.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 8:02 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

• Well peanuts mommy, if they only want full time they should be straight up about it when we called askin for three days a week.How is that fair to my kids and my time?
    Back to the point, we were three days a week and she took us to ONLY thursday so the other baby could go three days a week. She would have mad more $$$ if we went three days a week.
    Anonymous

• Not peanuts mommy I meant new momma sorry peanut!lol
    Anonymous