what does -1 station mean?

i had my 37 week appt today and i am almost 3cm, 75%effaced, and -1 station. my dr said she'll see me next week if i dont deliver before then! :)
so what exactly does -1 station mean? what do i need to be at to be ready to have the baby?

momma_2b_2010

Asked by momma_2b_2010 at 7:40 PM on Jan. 26, 2010 in Pregnancy

• For a lot of women, it means nothing. For doctors, it's a way to get your hopes up that you'll deliver right away, so you can be talked into an induction more easily later.
    Anonymous

• My 1st baby never dropped and I never dilated at all until I was in labor, which was only 5 hours from start to birth. My midwife never gave me percents and all that, she simply said "oh, she still seems pretty high up there" and then reassured me that no one is pregnant forever. For my second, the baby was pretty low around 39 weeks, but she ended up being born naturally at 42 weeks (2 weeks past my original due date).
    I think some doctors just need to have exact scientific measurements for things, even when it doesn't necessarily have much impact on when you'll actually give birth. Go ahead and put your hospital bag in the car, but don't be too disappointed if you aren't heading to L&D and then holding a newborn for a few weeks.
    Anonymous

• The station measures how far down the baby is in the birth canal.
    And only your body knows when labor will happen, not a doctor. Do not consent to an induction, because obviously your body knows what to do! Lots of women can even get to 5cm without even going into real labor yet! That is halfway, without the pain! I will never understand why anyone would hurry along a woman who is "laboring" before labor even begin, if that makes sense. Keep it up! You most likely will go to full term, which is 40+ weeks. You want a fully cooked baby. :)
    Anonymous

• you could have your baby tomorrow, or it could be in 4 or 5 weeks. the station really doesn't tell because you can go from -2 station to birth in a matter of hours, or several weeks. gl!
    Anonymous

• http://www.doereport.com/generateexhibit.php?ID=8741&ExhibitKeywordsRaw=&TL=4294967295&A=

http://www.doereport.com/generateexhibit.php?ID=12026&ExhibitKeywordsRaw=&TL=&A=
    Anonymous

• at my appt last week i was 1cm dilated. and my dr told me she gives it about 2 weeks before i deliver. and in a week i am almost 3cm. today says she gives it a week because of the progress ive made in a week.
    momma_2b_2010

Answer by momma_2b_2010 at 11:31 PM on Jan. 26, 2010