How would you describe this problem? (division)

20 divided by 1 = 20
How do I break it down for my son he is in 3rd grade.

Or 10 divided by 5 = 2
Back when I was in school we would use that bracket and do our division.
The way the do it now is the side division kind of like the short addition or subt.
It's been a while since I went to school I guess this is what happens when you are out of touch from school.

Thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:51 PM on Jan. 26, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• If you have 20 cookies and you need to give them to one person, how many cookies does that one person get?

If you have 10 cookies and you need to give them equally to 2 people, how many cookies does each person get?

Or

You have 20 cars and they all have to park and there is one parking lot, how many cars are going to be in the parking lot?

You have 10 cars, and they have to park in 2 different lots, and there have to be equal cars in each parking lot (use matchbox or hotwheel cars to show him if necessary), how many will park in each lot?
    Anonymous

• One is one one
    Two is two ones
    and so on

Answer by rkoloms at 8:39 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

• You have twenty of something. That twenty of one thing is one group. (Say cars for example) They are all cars...they are one group of something. Twenty of one group is ONE group. 20/1
    If you have ten of one type of thing (cars) and you divide it into two groups..you have two groups (of one thing) each group contains five of the (cars)

I am curious about the side division thing...is he learning prime numbers or is it the line with the dots?
    Whatkids

Answer by Whatkids at 9:35 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

• You can also teach division as backwards multiplication. If he knows his multiplication tables this may be easier.

(i.e. what times 1 is 20, what times 5 is ten)
    Anonymous

• My daughter is in 3rd grade and I taught her it was backwards multiplication, because she knows her multiplication tables backward and forward.

Answer by missanc at 11:46 AM on Jan. 27, 2010

• i like the ideas about cars and cookies....but this makes me sad for my SD. she is in third and i know that she is no where close to being ready for division. ugh.
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 8:07 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• http://www.funbrain.com/math/index.html

This site is really helpfull its full of fun games that teach and suport all elementry math skills and its free hope it helps
    dorsey3

Answer by dorsey3 at 8:21 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• Funbrain.com is a site my boys like

Here are some math sites that teachers recommend at our school
    www.AAAmath.com
    www.kidsmath.com
    www.aplusmath.com
    www.coolmath.com

& this one allows you to choose by grade level & has other subjects.
    www.iknowthat.com

I know that doesn't answer your question, but I suck at math :)
    Hope it helps
    Anonymous

• I agree that one option is to explain that "division" is the opposite of multiplication. However, I also think it's important for many kids to be able to visualize the application. We talk about 'dividing' things into equal groups. For example, my son's homework the other night had problems like this:

"You have 18 cookies. You need to divide them evenly between 6 people. How many cookies would each person get?"
    Or "You have 23 cookies. You are sharing them with 7 people. How many does each person get? How many are left over?"

For some, however, we talk about basic math facts. "If you divide a number by 1 the answer is always going to be the same as the original number. 20/1 is always 1. Just like a number divided by zero is always going to be zero." We do elaborate why (as in dividing out into even groups...being the opposite of multiplication...) but the focus is on "x divide by 1 is always x"

ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 11:33 AM on Jan. 28, 2010