Grant Desme, a 23-year-old minor league outfielder in Oakland's system, is retiring from baseball to follow a calling into the Catholic priesthood

OK I am cool with that but why does he have to quit baseball to study? I thought many college kids played sports while they study. Is a priest and a baseball player too much?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:55 PM on Jan. 26, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I know a guy who quit a successful advertising and recording career to become a priest, so maybe the study is too much to have with another career. I haven't even gone back to school for my masters because I'm busy with my mom career right now.
    Anonymous

• I think sometimes they are sent to different places to study, and being on the baseball team I imagine there's traveling involved there too. So it just might be that there's too much to both of them to do together.
    Anonymous

• Well, seminary isn' like your normal college. You do take classes, but also need time for prayer, reflection, mentorship, etc. For many in the seminary there isn't even time for a job to pay for it, so it would be impossible to be on a traveling minor league sports team. That's the equivalant of working a full time job with a lot of travel and going to school full time.
    indymom22

Answer by indymom22 at 9:02 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

• im not Catholic, but im pretty sure "going into the priesthood" is nothing like going to college. its a life-changing decision. he is devoting his life to God, so i would think playing baseball for money would be kinda distracting.

i heard he was called up to by the A's for this next season for spring training...then said he was joining the priesthood. he must have felt a VERY strong calling to leave major league baseball behind!
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 9:39 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

• Yes, the seminarty is very different than college and a career traveling with baseball team wouldn't fit in. In addition to learning and studying, there are prayers and meditiation and most importantly self-examination. Becoming a Catholic priest is a life-long vocation, much more than a job or a career. I'll keep him in my prayers.
    eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 11:17 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

• While I disagree with alot about the Catholic priesthood, what an awesome man to leave the world he was in and listen to his calling to serve God.
    WAganma56

Answer by WAganma56 at 1:09 AM on Jan. 27, 2010