My 11 week old keeps getting a lot of goop in his eye today could he be getting an eye infection or the eye just collecting some dirt? it's pretty runny like snot

JaymieZ

Asked by JaymieZ at 8:09 PM on Jan. 26, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Take him to the doctor. My daughter was around 12 weeks when she started having the same symptoms. I kept wiping with a warm wash cloth and it kept coming back. After a couple days it had gotten so bad she couldn't open her eyes. There is a eye cream antibiotic they can prescribe. You just wipe it on and it looks bad but its gone by the next day.
    ellegrl

Answer by ellegrl at 8:12 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

• I used breastmilk and a warm washcloth to wipe gently. The breastmilk is a natural antibiotic. It sounds like just a little eye infection, no biggie. Call the doc and have the nurse aware so she can write this in the baby's file.
    txdaniella

Answer by txdaniella at 8:14 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

• my son was getting that problem it looked like his tear duct hadnt formed right but i took him to the doc and all they told me to do was massage it with the outside of my pinky it actually seemed to help it's not leaky anymore ( he's 4 months today )
    Anonymous

• My baby had the same thing I just used a smooth rag w/warm water! She didn't get it everyday but every so often....
    KileighsMom

Answer by KileighsMom at 8:40 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

• get it checked out. with my son he had blocked tear ducts and I just had to massage it everyday for a while (ds DEFINATELY did NOT like it) but he's 6 now and no prob.
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 8:40 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

• My DS had a clogged tear duct. It looked like snot and didnt go away unill he was about 3 or 4 months. The ped told me to massage the cornor of his eye to unclog it and that there is not really anything they can give to make it go away. It just goes away on it's own.
    Chas21

Answer by Chas21 at 9:32 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

• you can look on line to get specific directions on how to massage the tear duct, it is very simple, and won't harm anything if there is no blocked duct either. i used breast milk and tear duct massage.
    good luck!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 10:04 PM on Jan. 26, 2010