At what age should a kid lock himself in the bathroom?

My husband has an eight year old boy.He comes home every week.I take care of him when his mother can't. My husband thinks that he should lock the door. I do not agree on that. He says that he is teaching the boy to do this so he can get use to do this when ever he goes to other people's house.

Madremia62

Asked by Madremia62 at 8:16 PM on Jan. 26, 2010 in General Parenting

• I wasn't allowed to until I was about 12. What if he hurt himeself and no one could get to him? My dad lost a friend who was choking @ the dinner table and didn't realise it..so he went to the restroom not to be rude, and he choked to death wiht the door locked. So it was a rule in our house.
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 8:18 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

• My 8 year old does..Just because her younger sis always bugs her and I think bathroom time should be private..I see nothing wrong with a locked bathroom door, never a bedroom door though..
    Anonymous

• my kids lock the door, but I can easily get it unlocked..
    maiahlynn

Answer by maiahlynn at 8:23 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

• my 4yr old locks the door when he goes, but thats b/c if he doesnt my little one and the dog will go bustin in. Its okay in my opinion b/c he can at least know how to unlock the door if ever he needs to get out.
    sugahmamma

Answer by sugahmamma at 8:26 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

• I would say they can whenever they want kids deserve privacy and comfort just like adults, just make sure it is easy to break into if need be. Most doors you stick a hair pin in and pops the lock no biggie
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 8:43 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

• We were never allowed to lock the door. My mom would have had the door taken off the hinges if we locked a door! We respected a closed door. It meant someone was in there so no need to lock it.

Answer by admckenzie at 8:48 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

• wow, I have never considered this an issue. My 8 year old can if she wants. If she locks her bedroom it is usually bc she doesn't want her 5 year old brother bugging her. I will usually knock and make sure everything is ok (she's not crying or upset) But I respect her boundaries and unless I had a reason to doubt her I will trust her.
    JenM1975

Answer by JenM1975 at 9:22 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

• I hate to sound rude but why does everything have to be such a big deal? So the kid locks the door? At least nobody will walk in on him. As long as he knows how to unlock the door then what is the issue?

To the PP that posted about the person choking, that's sad but it's a common indicator of choking. First Aid for choking is to watch for people who quickly leave the table because, like you said, they don't want to be rude. Locking himself in the bathroom was silly yes but that doesn't mean no one should ever lock a door. Most bathroom doors are quite flimsy and can be easily either unlocked, picked or kicked in if there is an emergency.
    Allergic2Stupid

Answer by Allergic2Stupid at 10:26 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

• We dont lock the doors at our house. Cause I have th master key and keep it away(its a old house) But out in public my son is told to lock the bathroom door.
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 1:33 AM on Jan. 27, 2010