• In the Spotlight:

Why be a stay-at-home mom if the kids are in school?

I saw on another post, a mom arguing her position as a SAHM, and I just didint understand. The other mom said that she was a proud SAHM and that her kids (all three) went to grade school.
My kids are 1 and 4, neither are in school (yet) and I stay at home for many child related reasons, but I just need help understanding why some moms continue to be a "SAHM" if the kids aren't there during the day?

sugahmamma

Asked by sugahmamma at 8:21 PM on Jan. 26, 2010 in General Parenting

• Im gonna close this question b/c there is too much confusion.

Many of you ladies have insulted me and each other moms, and that is flat out ridiculous!

I hope that all of you reading this understand that I AM A SAHM, and this question was for ME to get a better understanding of other SAHM. My oldest is about to go to school and I have a choice to either put the little one in day care and work or stay home. I thought it would be a friendly discussion, yet too many of you are bitching. Thanx to all that answered respectfully, that is what the cafe is all about.

sugahmamma

Answer by sugahmamma at 8:43 AM on Jan. 27, 2010

• Depends on if they are just lazy or have other plans. I went back to college during that time :D
    babycakes254

Answer by babycakes254 at 8:22 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

• being a sahm isnt just about the children! sheesh! HOMEMAKER! is the term used. the career choosen. i make my house a home. MY CAREER. its not all about caring for your children. i think you just want drama.
    Anonymous

• Man I could get more done and you don't have to worry about who is going to have to take off work when a child is sick or school canceled for some reason.
    Raeann11

Answer by Raeann11 at 8:24 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

• but if you walk into the "homemakers" home i bet it looks the same as a working moms home...hmmm?
    Anonymous

• I'm a WAHM, however, if I was a SAHM, I would want to continue staying home as well, unless I had a VERY Flexible job. Kids are on vacations all the time, have snow days, have the entire summer off, and I want to be able to spend that time with them. If my child is sick, I want to be the one to just go and get him, not worry about taking time off.

A majority of SAHMs can afford to stay at home. And want to stay at home for the above reasons. It is none of your business why they choose to.
    Anonymous

• My kids are all in school and I am anything but lazy! I volunteer in their classrooms when they need volunteers and chaperone their field trips, I'm home when they are sick, I take them to appointments, I go to all their school activities. When I'm home and not doing things with their school, I am cleaning, baking and cooking (I just made 2 loaves of homemade bread today), I run errands for the family so in the evenings I can be home with them. There is always cleaning to be done. I am planning on taking online college courses next year when my DD goes to full day first grade. Right now she's in half day kindergarten. Also, they have so many days off/vacation days/holidays etc that I would have to pay full day of daycare for all three kids at least once a week not to mention before and after school care since their school is 8-230. I do babysit at home to bring in extra money, and since DH is military it makes it easier on...
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 8:27 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

• my kids to know that they have someone there when they need someone.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 8:28 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

• They have the money to.
    Anonymous

• Not to be rude, but I think that's a personal decision and it's really none of anyone's business. We have 3 kids, that's a lot of laundry cooking and cleaning (among other things). I had PLANNED on going back to work once they were all in school but seriously?? My first just went to school and he's so not there long enough to accomplish everything I need too! Where do you live that 9 to 2 jobs are readily available? Good luck finding those hours around here!! My husband is perfectly capable of taking care of us so why should I run myself ragged just to prove some infantile that I can do it all? Because I can't, the boys would miss out on a lot. As is it is I'm always around when someone needs me, my husband and I both like it that way. To each his own, it's ridiculous how some people need to judge others.
    Slinkee

Answer by Slinkee at 8:29 PM on Jan. 26, 2010