By clipping our cat's claws with animal clippers would that help them from stop trying to damage the furniture?

I mean I know they do this for comfort and satisfaction on their claws and to sharpen them but does it help if we just trim them?

Thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:28 PM on Jan. 26, 2010 in Pets

• Honestly not really. My mom does it to her cat and they still do it. Sometimes they get more jagged from cutting. Try a scratching post.
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 8:30 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

• Anonymous

• never do it yourself..if you are not sure of what you are doing you can damage them.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 8:31 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

• They will still go through the motions, but if the claws are trimmed, the damage is way less.
    hazelnutx

Answer by hazelnutx at 8:32 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

• An indoor cat's claws need to be trimmed regularly, but it's not going to stop them from clawing. If you're anti-declawing about all you can do is provide lots of scratching toys.
    Slinkee

Answer by Slinkee at 8:32 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

• we do it it seems to help him be calmer his nails aren't annoying him anymore.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 8:32 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

• take them and have those caps put on their claws.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 8:32 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

• trimming and capping nails is extremely short term. The way a cats nail grows is it sheds it outer layer to reveal the sharper under layer. So a cat can simply chew, scrape and rub any trimming or covers off in a matter or days or weeks depending on how determined they are. If you are not wanting to declaw then I would recommend getting a spray bottle for inappropriate scratching and getting a quality scratching post for her to use. You can use treat and cat nip to lure or bribe her into using it.
    Anonymous

• Just an FYI about those claw caps, I've seen MANY cats injured when they got a toe caught in something lacey or woven that they were playing with. It's a cone shaped cap, they go into tiny little woven holes but do not come up once the weaving has popped over the back of the cap (think of how a zip tie or pair of handcuffs work). Unless you are there for an immediate rescue a cat can severely injure itself trying to escape. I actually saw one come into the hospital I worked at that had rolled around so much trying to escape from a bedspread that it amputated it's own toe. Not pretty, declawing would have been much more humane.
    Slinkee

Answer by Slinkee at 9:01 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

• Cats claw on things as a way of marking their territory. It took us a long time to find something that the cat would actually use. The big carpeted things suck. The only thing we found that our cat likes is a pretty basic stand up scatcher, but instead of carpet it has rope. I trim her claws, but she still scratches. We tried the caps, and as the other poster mentioned they get their claws caught on things, and can really hurt themselves. There is no way to take them off, you have to wait for the claws to grow out again and then cut them off. So, umm to answer your question...no.
    DixieRoadrash

Answer by DixieRoadrash at 11:00 PM on Jan. 26, 2010