does same sex marriage threaten marriage itself?

SAN FRANCISCO – The head of a family values group testified Tuesday that marriage is in such a weakened state in the U.S. that extending the institution to same-sex couples could be its death blow.

David Blankenhorn, president of the Institute for American Values, a private think tank, took the witness stand for the defense in the trial challenging California's ban on same-sex marriage.

"My best judgment, if we move toward a widespread adoption of same-sex marriage, I believe the effect will be to significantly further and in some respects culminate the process of deinstitutionalization of marriage," Blankenhorn said.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_gay_marriage_trial

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 8:48 PM on Jan. 26, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• My opinion is that that is the lamest excuse to ban gay marriage ever. How does allowing more people to happily marry threaten other marriages? Marriage is threatened because so many people grew up seeing their parents in miserable marriages, or because of quickie marriages followed by quickie divorces, or because of shows like "Who Wants to Marry a Millionaire". All those things threaten traditional marriage way more than gay marriage ever could.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 8:54 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

• hogwash...a gay couple is no consideration on my marriage's success or failure, any more than the man in the moon. if my straight marriage fails, its mine and my dh's fault..not anyone else.
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 8:54 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

• It won't mine, are you worried?
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 8:54 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

• Don't know about you....but I don't see ME running out and getting divorced just because gays are getting married. I say let them, if you find someone in this miserable world who makes you happy grab hold and don't let go. I'm not going to tell you your happiness is less valid than mine.
    Slinkee

Answer by Slinkee at 8:55 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

• NO! What threatens marriage is the fact that divorces are so cheap and easy to get... Nothing else!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 8:56 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

• It depends on how you define marriage. Since it's become such a secular institution, it's about dead already in the religious sense, but if it's not, then yes, I can see how extending it to same-sex couples could make it happen. However, since it IS primarily secular now, I don't see what difference it makes as far as the state of the institution.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 8:56 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

• does same sex marriage threaten marriage itself?

nope

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 8:57 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

• To me I think that it is a clear contradiction. To assume that same sex couple have the ability to overwhelmingly influence the public is rediculous. Can ppl not think for themselves? Then what does that same about oposite sex couples...does the law expect an influence to change the minds of the gays/lesb? It just doesnt make sense to me. Marraige is not a legal bond on a peice of papper. Its a committed promise to your spouse, and that is first agree in the mind and heart.
    sugahmamma

Answer by sugahmamma at 9:11 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

• the lamest excuse to ban gay marriage ever

No, I think the "marriage is only for reproduction one" is still worse. As for the biggest threat to marriage? Married people.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 9:11 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

They are both pretty ridiculous! lol I can't believe that someone actually TESTIFIED to it in COURT!!

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 9:20 PM on Jan. 26, 2010