do you make your child wear long sleeve shirts in winter?

My daughter runs hot. I still expect her to wear long sleeved shirts in winter. I don't know how hot her classroom is, but I know they go outside and she rides the bus. She is constantly trying to wear short sleeved shirts. So my new rule is 40 degrees and above she can wear short sleeve. 39 and below has to be long. What do you think? Do you let your kids wear short sleeve year round?

JenM1975

Asked by JenM1975 at 9:02 PM on Jan. 26, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• My kids can wear either long or short. It was well below freezing today (-15C, don't know what that is in F, plus the windchill) and all three of my boys (11, 7, and 3 yo) wore short sleeves. They wear coats, gloves, etc while outside and the boys classrooms are quite warm. I myself wear short sleeves a lot during the winter. I do send a hoodie or sweater to keep at school in case it gets cool in the school.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 9:05 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

• I let my kids wear short sleeve shirts, but want them to take a sweater with them. That way if hot they can take off the sweater.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 9:05 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

• I pretty much through winter have my son wear long sleeve. Usually it's a white long sleeve with his pick of shit over it, that usually seems to work just fine.. I do let him sometimes wear short sleeve but then I worry that he is to cold in class..lol :)
    randilinn

Answer by randilinn at 9:06 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

• My oldest (11 yrs) wears a short sleeved shirt under his long sleeve shirt, that way if he gets hot in the classroom he can take off the long sleeve one but if he's cold he can keep it on. My youngest is the same way as of heating up sometimes. He usually wears a light long sleeve shirt and a hoodie of some kind that he can take off if needed.
    Juggalette0327

Answer by Juggalette0327 at 9:06 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

• My big guy runs cold, he's in kindergarten but he's allowed to keep a blanket in his cubby in case he gets cold during class (apparently their room stays pretty cold). My middle one is like a furnace though, I put him in long sleeves but if he gets warm he just strips naked lol. He's not old enough for that to be a problem though.

I would say let her wear short sleeves but layer it with a hoodie or thin sweater. That way if she gets too hot at school she can take it off. I would still make her wear a coat outside though.
    Slinkee

Answer by Slinkee at 9:08 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

• I live in canada...its cold.

I don't force them to wear anything. they wear short sleeve, long sleeve and usually a hoodie or sweater. I'm not worried....if they're cold they'll put something on.

hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 9:18 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

• At a certain point I let them wear what they want to an extent, I hate long sleeves can't wear them ever so I won't make my kid wear them, they can wear a jacket or zipper sweater if they get cold.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 9:19 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

• I let mine where short sleeves if she wants. When she goes to school I will have her wear a sweat shirt and say it is up to her to wear at school. she knows if she is cold or not. And we have extremely cold winters here. It at times is below zero with aweful windchills.
    Anonymous

• It's not a fight I fight. With my sons..one always wore long sleeves and the other refused to wear them. My grandkis one is a frozen ice cube even in 85' weather. My grandson..anything under 50 he wants long sleeves. It just isn't worth the hassle. I require them to take a jacket though. They can always be taken off and shoved in a backpack.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 9:28 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

• My daughters wear whatever is clean. It's usually in the 40's or 50's here all winter. Long sleeve, short sleeve, doesn't matter much to me. What matters to me is that they wear a coat or jacket that is warm enough for the weather.
    Anonymous