Naming a son after his father...

My hubby and I already have a son, our first child, who is currently 5 months old. We named him Cameron Blake Frazier, despite my husband's name being passed down from generations (it sort of skipped along the way...his great grandfather was Frank Raymond Frazier, his Grand dad was Frank Raymond Frazier II, then his UNCLE was Frank Raymond Frazier III, and my husband is Frank Raymond Frazier IV.). My question is...if we had another son in the future, would it be weird to name him Frank Raymond Frazier V...even though he isnt the first son? I mean...I wish I could go back in time and name Cameron that name...but if we had another boy, would you all think it would be weird to do that?

camsmommy2009

Asked by camsmommy2009 at 9:38 PM on Jan. 26, 2010 in General Parenting

• I don't see any reason not to name a second son that, my only reservation would be that that first would get jealous. But, in my experience with kids if you don't make a big deal out something they accept it willingly.
    Slinkee

Answer by Slinkee at 9:40 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

• I don't think its wierd even though your right it is typically the first son...We named my son after his dad but a different middle name. Its also a family name.
    Anonymous

• NO ITS NOT WEIRD IF THATS TRULY WHAT YOUWANT TO NAME A SECOND BOY FOR ME THE WAY IVE MY KIDS IS TO HAVE A COUPLEOF NAMES THAT REALLY LIKED PICKED OUT AS SOON WE SEEN THEM WE JUST KNEW WHAT THEIR NAMES WERE MENT TO BE
    mommy1089

Answer by mommy1089 at 9:46 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

• No it's not wierd. My husband and I had two sons and I gave him the option of naming the first after him, but he only has his middle name. When the second was born, I said we could give him his first name and he said no again. I don't think it's wierd at all.
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 9:51 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

• your husband's name is honored by his own family men before your husband. my husband's family is similar. not a complaint just a question. Since the original person with your husband's name was honored quite some time before him and others since then and himself, why not continue with a similarity to your first child's name and name other sons their own names without being identical to others? That's what we did, my husband's ancesters and his father and brothers were named similarly for several generations. That means honor by name of those generations was complete. For us it was ok to come up with a name unlike his fathers and male relatives before him. Maybe history is suggesting that to you? Do you think you are dishonoring your son's father and male family members before him who already have that name of your husband for generations, by not having named your son that? How many generations should have same name?
    lfl

Answer by lfl at 9:54 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

• It would not be weird. When deciding a name for our son we go to honor. Do the names of our family memebers deserve the honor? I understand the pressure from family to name a child because it is what has been done. However I chose a name that deserved honor. The people who they wanted me to name my son after were not honorable.
    Anonymous

• I seem to remember reading that the numbers are only used if ALL the holders of that name are still living. When the first one dies, then everyone moves up a notch. So for there to be a fifth is a pretty rare thing.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:47 AM on Jan. 27, 2010

• its not like there are rules written in stone.

hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 8:52 AM on Jan. 27, 2010