How can I find a good pediatric dentist?

I have three year old who I've taken her to three diffent dentists, but havent been able to fix cavities. The first one does not deal with children, second one recommended to have general anesthesia for the work they need to do. I took her to a third which ended being a horrible experience. Chidren are tied down flat on their backs which looked very unconfortable when they are working in your mouth. Dentist wanted me to leave the room, but my daughter was screaming and crying as if she was in a torture chamber. To make matters worse the dentist got upset left the room and left a piece of metal in her mouth. My daughter had vomited and was almost choking.. I had to tell the assistants that she was choking and I turned her on her side needles to say I was emotionally drained by the time I left, felt like the most horribel mother for taking her to that office. Are there any suggestions?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:39 PM on Jan. 26, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• telephone book under dentists listed by dental specialty and also ada (american dental association under their find a dentist, look under pediatric dentists for your state, zip code.

also many hospitals lists dentistry and also pediatric dentistry under their physician finders services.

also if you have any children's hospitals around you, even at a distance, for what you're describing. advocate for your child, my daughter went through similar things. pm me if you want.
    lfl

Answer by lfl at 9:45 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

• that sounds awful!
    it is not traditional, but a biological or homeopathic dentist might work...they may work more on preventative care, and they may have alternative solutions.
    also, the yellow pages may advertise child friendly office, or something like that.
    personally, i might feel more comfortable with a woman for my kids.
    my kids haven't done the dentist yet, but they should very soon!
    i have a few options for us already, 1) the dentist i go to...a little old school, but reasonable and honest
    2) the dentist around the corner from mine is a husband and wife team that have young kids themselves
    3) i have a biological dentist picked out as well
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 9:56 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

• There are a couple of wonderful ones in Chicago; send me a message offlist if you are in the area.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:47 AM on Jan. 27, 2010

• Ask your pediatrician's office for recommendations. They would know.
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 11:04 AM on Jan. 27, 2010

• Look on your health insurance providers website, that's where I found mine. It's a bit of a trek, about 40 minutes away, but pediatric dentistry isn't a common speciality. I love my dentist but the practice doesn't see kids under 5 which is why we had to look elsewhere. They're so gentle and great with kids, totally worth the trip. When it came time for flossing they used a little kids one shaped like a dinosaur and said they were sending the dinosaur in to clean his teeth for example. They also give him a huge bag of goodies including a new toothbrush, some flossers, some toothpaste, and other fun goodies. I think the retail value of the goody bag is probably higher than our co-pay.
    RhondaVeggie

Answer by RhondaVeggie at 5:24 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• If you live near Fort Collins CO Dr Evans at Big Grins is amazing! My two year old needed a lot of work done (bad teeth) and he was so amazing. We live in WY and had to drive two hours to get there and it was well worth the drive!
    Jayme

Answer by Jayme at 9:11 PM on Jan. 27, 2010