i have a 2 year old boy will be 3 in april and he wont talk how can i help him?

he dont say mama dada i try to to work with him but he don't even wanna try. he does have a older sister she is 6 and very smart. and my son has a baby brother which is 9 months old so i was think if it was a jealousy factor. if you have and suggestion to help me out that would be great thank you.

breeny420

Asked by breeny420 at 9:43 PM on Jan. 26, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• First, I would definitely bring this up with my Ped, mine is always asking about vocab and language skills at every visit. Second, I know it's hard (have a 2 and 1-year-old myself) but as I'm walking around the house I narrate everything I'm doing. I'm pretty much just having conversations with myself, my kids, my cats...the refrigerator lol. My first didn't talk much until he was three and it was like a switch went off! He was suddenly speaking fluently in full sentences. My 2-year-old will be 3 in May and he's really just now getting past the pointing/grunting/screaming stage and starting to talk better.
    Slinkee

Answer by Slinkee at 9:48 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

• You can always talk to your doctor and they'll refer you to an Early INtervention program. It's a free program, if they find your child is delayed in some degree, and they'll come to your house once or twice a week and work with him.

My son is only 17 months old but our doctor was concerned and referred us. We should be getting someone to come over to observe my son within the next two weeks! I think it's a great program and I know it'll only help my son!

Good luck to you!
    Anonymous

• First, I would have his hearing checked, it that's fine, then contact the early intervention program and have him tested. Good luck with him
    staceynoel

Answer by staceynoel at 9:54 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

• MY SON DIDNT TALK TO MUCH TILL HE TURNED 2 1/2 BUT HE HAD ALOT OF EAR INFECTIONS ABD A BUSTED EAR DRUM THROUGH OUT SECOND YEAR I WOULD DEFINTLY TALK TO YOUR PED THEY MADE MY SON START SPEECH THERPY WHEN HE WAS 2 1/2 AND BY THETIME HE WAS THREE HE WAS TALKING CLEAR IT MIGHT ALSO BE JELOUSY THAT WAS ONE OF MY SONS PROB THE BABY DIDNT TALK SO HE DIDNT THINK HE HAD TO EITHER BUT TALK TO YOUR PED THEY WLL BE ABLE TO TELL YOU WHAT YOU NEED TO DO
    mommy1089

Answer by mommy1089 at 9:57 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

• I would talk to your doctor about this ASAP. My son didn't say Mama/Daddy until 26/27 months old, but he had been in speech therapy since 21 months old. So even all that working with him took a while. He's almost 3 and will finish therapy when he turns 3 in March as ECI (Early Childhood Intervention) only works with them until 36 months. It could be a hearing problem, but it's best to find out. If there is a problem, then identifying it will bring the solution. Does he say ANY words? Or just not Mama/Dada? Does he try to talk? Express himself in any way? Does he point to what he wants?
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 11:33 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

• I would get him evaluated. Chances are nothing is wrong, but if there is an issue, early intervention is always best. My daughter was speaking in sentences at eighteen months…

Answer by rkoloms at 8:46 AM on Jan. 27, 2010

• Definitely have him evaluated. Since he'll be 3 soon, you'll most likely need to contact your school's system Child Study Team to have them do the evaluation. Early Intervention only does home based until 3 at which point kids who still qualify move to a school based program. (My son will be 3 in April and we're now going through the eval process with the school. He's been receiving therapy at home 3 times a week since he was 19 months.) Your doctor should be able to help point you in the right direction. If not, check your state's web site for Early Intervention and start there. They'll know where to refer you if they want you to go directly to a school based program. Don't wait any longer. While it's possible your child will start talking on his own, some kids (my own included) just need a little extra help.
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 11:14 AM on Jan. 27, 2010