what type of mother are you?

when your child is getting into things, do you tell them, or warn them not to, or else, OR do you just remove the things so they dont get into it?

i TEACH my child not to get into or touch things, as i know some parents would rather say no no and put up a fence or keep moving things so they dont.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:51 PM on Jan. 26, 2010 in General Parenting

• the best,
    staceynoel

Answer by staceynoel at 9:51 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

• I do both, a little teaching a little preventing. With three boys under 5 in the house it's just unrealistic to expect them all to stay away from off-limits stuff at all times so anything that's really important to me or dangerous I remove.
    Slinkee

Answer by Slinkee at 9:52 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

• I have to go with both! I got a big round fence and when my son was REALLY little I used it to block off the whole kitchen and I used it around the Christmas tree and I put the garbage can up on a chair most of the time! LOL. Now he is 21 months.....LOVES to stand in the lid of the dishwasher and has figured out how to open out fireplace. BUT I have picture frames out.....even if they dont stay in the same place. t I have safety latches on the cabinets because I dont want to spend my WHOLE day getting on to him!!!

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 10:00 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

• A realistic one. I know that when my kids were young they weren't going to keep out of things just because I once said "no". So if it's valuable - whether monetarily or sentimentally - I put it up, other things that weren't as valuable or irreplacable I left down and taught them not to touch. I didn't want them in my cd's, but if they did get into them it wasn't the end of the world. The stained glass angel I got when I had a m/c was very important to me, so when my youngest was really little I put it out of reach. I understand the need to teach my kids not to touch, but I'm realistic enough to know that on occasion during the learning process things would be touched or gotten into.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 10:02 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

• We never moved anything except the few items that might be dangerous, cleaning supplies, etc. Everything else was left where it was. Our children were told no, and when they disobeyed no, they were spanked. That's also how our grandchildren are being raised. Their parents have moved nothing, and when they come to our house, they do not bother things they aren't supposed to. They are very well behaved, obedient children and a pleasure to have around. They totally respect the word no whenever they are told it.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 10:05 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

• We put things in his reach that he knows that cannot touch. He gets punished if he touches them. However there are things that should never been in a toddlers reach. Those things are placed out of his reach. It mostly about common sense. Would you allow your husband to keep his gun in a childs reach and expect him in his natural curiousity to not want to touch it and figure out what it does?
    Anonymous

• I do both.

I'll go the teaching rout when things are in their place - like we had to teach her not to play with the computer that was exactly where it was supposed to be.

But when I've got something out in an unusual place for just a little while, I often just choose the re-direct her attention rout.
    mogencreative

Answer by mogencreative at 10:14 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

• I teach along with keeping things out of the way for their own saftey. I don't think it's a good idea to leave things act and assume they will never go for it. It's just the way they're and the min you leave the room to go to the bathroom there is a possiblity they can get into something. So I have did gates when younger. And put some things up. But not everything.
    SylviaNCali

Answer by SylviaNCali at 10:46 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

• Baby timeouts...

Answer by rkoloms at 8:38 AM on Jan. 27, 2010