I need your research help! My son went blind today...for a couple minutes....

His doctor said it could be many things. Why would a healthy 15 year old boy walking down the hall suddenly lose vision? Both eyes. Felt out of it afterward, nauseous and dizzy beforehand. I took him to urgent care, they started a bunch of lab work, took him to ophthalmologist, they said his eyes look perfect. :/ I am freaking out. No illness or fever. Could be migraine, or seizure. Have you heard of this before? What would you do, what would you check for?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:57 PM on Jan. 26, 2010 in Health

• Oh...no he doesn't drink, not on drugs. (We homeschool and I pretty much am in the same room as him all day.... that is another subject.) But they are doing a tox screen anyway...I am ok with that.
    Anonymous

• We could speculate till we're blue in the face but your best bet is to just wait for the test results. I hope it was just a random thing and that your son doesn't have to go through that again!
    Allergic2Stupid

Answer by Allergic2Stupid at 10:00 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

• How is his blood pressure?
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 10:01 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

• Allergic to stupid, I would like to hear of experiences or good ideas, not people telling me not to ask. This has happened to him twice now. The first time they chalked it up to him being sick with the flu and dehydrated. This time, they said, that isn't the case.
    Anonymous

• Diabetes? Maybe.
    tanya_marieh

Answer by tanya_marieh at 10:03 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

• First time we took it, it was
    91/62 p58
    Second was
    102/64 p 68

No fever, blood sugar was 98
    Doctor said his blood pressure and pulse were consistent with a young skinny boy. He was not at all worried.
    Anonymous

• I'm sorry for being snitty...it has been a roller coaster of a day.
    Anonymous

• "doctor said he was not at all worried" About the blood pressure and heart rate I mean.
    Anonymous

• A seizure can be triggered by so many things. They can be difficult to diagnose because of the broad range of causes. Often there are accompanying symptoms that help the doc determine if that's the problem.

He could have a blood sugar/ blood pressure problem. If his BP is dropping suddenly, it could cause temp vision loss.

Allergies and food sensitivities can come on all of the sudden even if the food was a regular part of the diet for years.

A friend of mine had brain swelling from an acne medication that caused him to lose vision when he was a teen. The swelling put pressure on his retinal nerve.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 10:09 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

• I have really low blood pressure and that has happened to me before many times, never for a few minutes though more like 30 seconds or so. It sounds like he may have been on the verge of passing out or could have been a dozen other things. If this was the first time and he fully recovered I would try not worry too much until finding out the results of the tests. My thoughts are with you, I hope all turns out well.
    Slinkee

Answer by Slinkee at 10:14 PM on Jan. 26, 2010