flat head...

My son is 2 months almost 3 months n the back of his head is pretty flat my mom keeps saying its because he lays on his back too much ...I've never heard of sucha thing does anyone else believe this?

Kri5taa

Asked by Kri5taa at 9:58 PM on Jan. 26, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i think he does lay on his back too much. she is right.
    Anonymous

• Yeah, it could be why. My daughter had that issue when she was a baby. She was in the NICU with a chest tube on her left side, so she could only lay on her right side for most of the time she was there. She ended up having a huge flat spot on her right side of her head. Once she was home from the hospital, she favored that side and would only lay her head that way, because that is what she was used to. Her head was really flat for a while, so much so that they wanted to put her in a helmet, but I refused, and eventually it rounded itself out, pretty much when she started rolling over and learned to use the other side of her head. For a long time, her flat spot was the only way anyone in my family could tell her apart from her twin sister. lol
    fallnangel93

Answer by fallnangel93 at 10:00 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

• Yes, I have heard of this and this is a real condition. Talk to your pediatrician about it. They sometimes put helmets on babies so that their head will round back out.
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 10:01 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

• He needs some more tummy time, and when you lie him down to sleep put him on his back but encourage him to turn to one side of his head or another. Babies skull's are not hardened yet, they need to be able to squish a bit to get through the birth canal. If the problem continues, not trying to scare you, they may want to put him in a helmet later down the road to force the bones back into proper place. My first son REFUSED to turn his head to one side when he was a baby to the extent that the doctors had to make sure he didn't have spinal problems. He's five now and his head never fully round back out. It's VERY noticeable when his hair is cut, trust me, fix it now i still feel horrible guilt over this.
    Slinkee

Answer by Slinkee at 10:02 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

• try doing tummy time with your baby and having him sit in a swing or bouncy seat rather than laying on his back often. hope this helps, GL.
    Anonymous

• Aww I never would of thought u always hear people repeat lay baby on their back they roll over when they learn...
    Kri5taa

Answer by Kri5taa at 10:04 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

• yea my ten month old niece has a REALLY flat head lol she doesnt crawl or like being on her belly
    Anonymous

• Try more tummy time or lay her on her side to sleep. Try wearing her during the day while you do things around the house so she is upright instead of laying down a lot. Talk to your dr about it though. A coworker of mine has a grandson who was put in a helmet to correct a flat spot on his head. It's probably not a huge problem, but it is a real issue that happens and you should bring it up to your pediatrician.
    Anonymous

• PhilsBabyMama

Answer by PhilsBabyMama at 10:24 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

• One of my daughters had plagiocephaly (severely flattened head) and it can be caused by them laying on their back. Her was mostly on the side though & she was born with it...I had low amniotic fluid & her head was resting against my pelvic bone & it molded her head. We tried to manually help it shape out...massage, laying her on her other side mostly but it didn't help because it was so bad. She had to wear a star-band helmet for about a year. It corrected it to 50%. Now she has more hair, you can't really tell unless you feel her head. I have read that since they have been recommending putting babies on their backs to sleep there has been more cases of it though. Usually, it will round out without help though.
    lisa89j

Answer by lisa89j at 10:48 PM on Jan. 26, 2010