When is right time?

my daughter is 17 months old when should i start potty training?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:04 PM on Jan. 26, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• we she can sleep through the night without wetting a diaper is the first trigger to knowing when to potty train
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 10:05 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

• If I waited for that my 5yo would have been in diapers until kindergarten.

I'd put out a potty, but not expect much before 2yrs; boys often do not show interest until 3yrs+. My ds was day trained at 3yrs, night trained at 5.5yrs. My dd was day trained at 2rys and night trained at 2.5.
    happytexasCM

Answer by happytexasCM at 10:20 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

• When your daughter is able to stay dry during a nap, shows interest in potty training, doesn't like to be in a soiled diaper and can communicate with you, it is a good time to start potty training.
    DawnA72

Answer by DawnA72 at 10:43 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

• when she shows interest in using the potty. We got a potty for my 18 month old. She is very interested in sitting on it, but hasn't done anything in it yet. When she does, we will make a big deal out of it. If she starts to try at all.. then we will start potty training. Its always good to familiarize the child with the new concept before introducing it full scale. Good luck!
    kristal2146

Answer by kristal2146 at 11:11 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

• One sign is that they will go stand in a corner or squat when they go. Also when they let you now they are wet. We started my older dd around 18 months and it didnt work so I didnt force the issue. We are still wrorking on not having accidents all day now and she is 3, but we are close. My younger daughter (16 months) will go sit on the pottty before bed, but thats it.
    MooNFaeRie30

Answer by MooNFaeRie30 at 6:23 AM on Jan. 27, 2010

• Each child will show different signs of readiness. By around 18 months or so, buy a book that talks about potty training and add it into your reading time. Then buy a potty and see if she shows any interest. We did this around 2 yrs for our son (who has done most things late...). We didn't even consider starting to train until he would sit on the potty without a diaper (which took a while). Keeping dry through the night or naptime may not happen for all kids.. Some kis also never really care about being wet (my son still doesn't). We bought a few "special" books he could only read while on the potty. We're still having only limited success despite his being almsot 3...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:20 AM on Jan. 27, 2010

• my son was trained befor he was to we stared with him when he was 1 we always had his changing table in the bathroom seeing as it was the only place it could fit we he tried to clim on the big potty and i put him up there and he just went he always saw us do it he had just turned 1 at the time and we bought him a potty seat he also wore cloth diapers

cymommy

Answer by cymommy at 1:37 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• We trained my daughter during the daytime at 19 months and it took about a week... she is 2.5 and still waking up wet, but there's not harm in that and I cannot imagine having waited this long or longer to train her... We just put her in underwear and stayed home for a few days and taught her what to do. Most experts say it's best to wait until after 18 months; after that, IMO, it depends on what your level of commitment is... You may not have to clean up many messes if you wait until 3 or 3.5 years old, but that doesn't mean that your child can't learn before then. To me it's much more a question of parenting styles... I believe in the gentle nudge to learn something new. But consistency is key; once you ditch the diapers, going back to them is very confusing...
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 2:26 PM on Jan. 27, 2010