What age should a girl be put on birth control

I have a 13yo daughter who I trust very much and I'm not worried about her doing anyting, however its those boys out there that scare me. What age should a girl start birth control. I never really had "the talk" with my mom or dad, and I was pregnant at 17, I dont want that for my daughter. She comes to me with anything that bothers her and things that don't.... Please help!!!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:42 PM on Jan. 26, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• My mother put me on BC when I was 13, and would never consider putting my daughter on them that early. Putting all of those hormones into a body that isn't even fully formed yet is not healthy even though doctors push them like breath mints! IMO, I think you need to create a secure and open relationship with her so that she feels comfortable coming to you and telling you when SHE is ready for them. Hopefully not for several years to come. Good luck with her.
    Slinkee

Answer by Slinkee at 10:46 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

• oh, i would really think twice before the pill. she is so young! have a talk with her, i would suggest condoms b/c you really want her to be disease free when she does have sex.
    the pill has side effects...i actually wonder if being on the pill for so long contributes to the infertility issues so many women are having these days. there are studies that link the pill to cancers. so much to consider, and if it is the boys you don't trust, then really a condom would be best. if you trust your daughter then you should trust that she will believe you when you tell her the boy does not love her if there is no glove!
    good luck to you!
    i am glad my dd is so young!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 10:48 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

• my mom put me on at 13. and that is the age i would recommend. you never know what those boys can talk a girl into.
    wahm_abbeyrose

Answer by wahm_abbeyrose at 10:50 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

• i was on the shot, btw.
    wahm_abbeyrose

• My personal opinion:

If there isn't painful periods or a medical reason for the BC, I think putting your teen on it is sort of like giving them permission to have sex.

I also a agree with PP, that their side effects can be harsh, even as an adult, I had severe emotional side effects to the pill...and I agree that it's a better option for her to know how to acquire and use condoms. Though be honest in your "talk" about how effective those really are too (about 80% in real-life practice).
    Anonymous

• I went to the doctor on my own (health department) when I was 16 so that I could get on the pill and avoid being a teenage mom like my own mother (she was 17 when she got pregnant). She found out and had a fit when I told her that I did it to avoid following in her footsteps. I say don't do it unless there is a medical need.
    acollins09

Answer by acollins09 at 10:58 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

• I agree that you should have an open and honest relationship with her. My mom told me when I had my first boyfriend that she was always there to talk and that IF I decided to have sex she would take me to get me birth control. I started birth control when I was 15. I didn't take it as a free pass to have sex with whoever whenever. The only way to know if or when your daughter should start birth control would be to talk to her.
    TDausman

Answer by TDausman at 11:02 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

• I think it's funny to hear that so many other women have had those "non-existent" emotional side effects that made me think I was just a raging bitch until I had my first son! Being a teenage girl is emotional enough without the BC hormone overload. I just had to add, my mom put me on the pill when I was 13 and I didn't have sex until I was 16. The pills are not a license to have sex unless advertise them that way. The important thing is communication, communication, communication...pill or not.
    Slinkee

Answer by Slinkee at 11:04 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

• Oh good GOD not another one of these discussions. That is NOT responsible parenting. Try teaching her about sex and consequences and such and let HER make the decision when and if she wants to have sex before she's married then she can come to you and you'll get her birth control. Why dump all those unnecessary hormones into a little girl??? It's WRONG for so many reasons and I am still incredibly shocked that so many women think doing this is ok. Argh.
    Anonymous

• you could buy it for her and tell her to keep it bc she may want to start taking it when she meets that special someone, she can always refill it if she just asks you. don't forget to give her comdoms too bc there's a lot of std's floating out there and she should be protected from that too, bc it just a back up for condoms. she should know how to use both and feel confident in what you let her choose. if she's not comfortable with the exam then i wouldn't force it on her.
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 11:56 PM on Jan. 26, 2010