friend

I have a friend and her daughter come over all the time and I don't think she feds her when she is here all she want is junk food (junk food last a ling time @ my house) she eat whatever is sweet and drink all the juice boxes (my son has 1 a day ) what should I say 2 her mom I don't want 2 fight with her mom

kadmomma

Asked by kadmomma at 10:49 PM on Jan. 26, 2010 in General Parenting

• Tell the mom she needs to bring her own food and drink for her child, or only offer healthy foods and water.
    Anonymous

• I'd just ask the friend what does she feed her because she is always so hungry when she comes over. I would give the kid a reasonable amount still and then take it up with the parnet to see what they say about it.
    SylviaNCali

Answer by SylviaNCali at 11:07 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

• Poor kid :(
    Allergic2Stupid

Answer by Allergic2Stupid at 11:12 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

• maybe she does feed the kid but doesn't allow junk in the house so when the girl comes to your house she sees that u have it so she wants it- i dont think you should say anything to the mom cause it might offend her but i agree with the poster who said offer heathier snacks and also limit the junk. tell her that in your house the rule is one junk snack and juice box a day and if she is still thirsty when shes finished she is welcome to a glass of water.
    lovelyli217

Answer by lovelyli217 at 11:17 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

• If all she wants is junk food that doesn't mean her mom isn't feeding her. That might be that her mom doesn't feed her junk food and the child knows that you will. To me it's on you for letting her have all of that junk food. Tell her that she can have something more healthy and don't let her have any more then you allow your child. That to me doesn't sound like she's neglecting her child by starving her. It just sounds like she doesn't allow junk food in her home.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 11:34 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

• Is the child or the mom opening your refrigerator and cabinets and helping themselves? I'd put everything away so that it wasn't easily accessible when they come over.

Or are you serving the drinks and snacks to the child? Offer healthy snacks like fresh fruits.

My children are grown but I keep a bowl of fruit on the table - right now it has apples, oranges, and bananas in it. I also have a nut jar - it's filled with peanuts that are still in the shell. The only drinks I have in the house is milk, water, and grapefruit juice.

My point is if you don't have sweets and junk food available, it would solve the situation.

PrttyMstng

Answer by PrttyMstng at 7:05 AM on Jan. 27, 2010

• Only offer water, fruit and vegetables.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:22 AM on Jan. 27, 2010

• * If you know that they are coming over you might want to hide the junk food and have a healthy snack available to offer the child like fruit, yoghurt, cut up veggies, and then offer ONE snack choice and ONE drink. I would also say something like "in our house we allow the kids to have one snack and one drink" that way you are getting the point across that she can have one drink box-- and not all of them. If she is still thirsty, then offer water.

* If you are tired of feeding her child then maybe next time let her know that you are not offering snacks anymore, as what you have is to feed your family and has to last. Maybe mom does not realize how much her child consumes.

* Have you thought of taking turns doing snacks? Talk to the other mom and see if she would be willing to bring snacks and drinks over on some of her visits. That way it is not all on you to feed her child.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 9:07 AM on Jan. 27, 2010

• If the kid's mother is helping herself to your foodstuffs, then tell her to stop it and if she wants to give her kid all that stuff, then she should bring it yourself. If you feel a need to justify yourself, tell her that you don't even let your own kid have that much crap in one day.

If you are the one who is offerring the crap, then stop it and start only offerring water to drink and cut up fresh fruits & veggies for snacks.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:59 AM on Jan. 27, 2010