My cat has a hurt paw....how can I keep him still so he doesn't bite me while I look at it?

I tried looking at the paw, but he keeps biting me. How can I contain him so I can see what is painful and assess the situation?

SleepingBeautee

Asked by SleepingBeautee at 11:29 PM on Jan. 26, 2010 in Pets

• Well, remember you're holding his first line of defense (his paws) and if it hurts, he's coming at you with his second defense (teeth). If your kitty likes being held like a baby.. try that. Always worked with my cats.

If you can gently bearhug him and point his head AWAY from your body, you might be able to get ahold of a paw. Or if you can do it very very quickly... get something as a shield to put between his face and you (fold a pillow case to make it thicker, etc).. and hug him that way..but act quickly. lol
    ohsowonderful

Answer by ohsowonderful at 11:39 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

• if you're concerned only with biting and not clawing you to ribbons, get a towel/blanket and swaddle up, baby style. pillow case, maybe even
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 11:35 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

• Put a towelover his head and have someone else hold him.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:50 AM on Jan. 27, 2010

• Take him to the vet!
    Starfire73

Answer by Starfire73 at 5:02 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• Just grab him from the back of his neck and hold him he will be somewhat paralyzed for awhile but it won't hurt him remember this is how mommy cats hold their babies or carry them. If you can have someone help you. GL
    Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 8:24 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• get a towl and duct tape it. we have to do that to take our one cat to the vet!
    bmdred

Answer by bmdred at 9:00 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• Fold a towel in half long ways--so it's long and skinny. Roll the cat up in this sideways so now you can pull out the pertinent piece of cat (hind leg) and look at it and he can't do anything but glare and hiss at you. He is NOT going to like it, but he will just have to lump it cause he can't do anything else. A nice soft way to immobilize him
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 2:04 AM on Jan. 28, 2010

• Get Someone To Help You Wrap Him Tighly In A Towel. That What My Sister Does, Her Hubby Puts a Belt Around The Towel That Wrapped Around Him. Just Make Sure To Try & Keep His Mouth Away From Your Hands & Fingers. Hope This Helps You. Good Luck..
    Sandra
    scrappnmomma

Answer by scrappnmomma at 5:42 AM on Jan. 28, 2010