Allergy skin testing

When did they start doing it on the arm?? My son had his done about 2 years ago on his back, the same place my husband and I both had ours done years ago. My daughter today got it done on the forearm. Is this some new thing or just the doctors preference?

hibbingmom

Asked by hibbingmom at 11:33 PM on Jan. 26, 2010 in Kids' Health

• It depends on the doctor and sometimes the age of the patient. In my late teens/early 20s (so we're going back 15-20 years ago) I had SPT tests on two separate occasions. Both times it was on the forearm. My daughter, who is now 5, has always been tested on the back. Her allergist says it's in part because of her age (can't easily scratch or rub off the serum) and in part because of how many spots he was testing at one time (then it was a full scope of peanuts and tree nuts in one round.)

Motherofhope: there are actually studies that indicate SPT is more accurate than RAST - at least when it comes to food allergies. I'm not sure if there are studies done regarding environmentals. According to those studies, there is a higher rate of false positives in a blood test. Many doctors will use it only in conjunction with SPT or to confirm a suspected allergy based on real-life reactions.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 9:51 AM on Jan. 28, 2010

• I would ask the DR office. I have never herd of it in the arm.

Phianabismoma

Answer by Phianabismoma at 11:51 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

• I have had it done both ways, each are equally effective.
    FL2AK

Answer by FL2AK at 11:59 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

• I think they mostly do it to kids who are too little to understand not to itch the reaction sites on their arms before the test is complete. The thought of that kind of itch on my back makes me twitchy!!!
    Allergic2Stupid

Answer by Allergic2Stupid at 12:35 AM on Jan. 27, 2010

• RAST test is more accurate and able to detect sensitivities as well. It only takes one poke to draw the blood.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 8:41 AM on Jan. 27, 2010