how do you get baby to sleep in crib/basinet?

My 7 week old will not sleep in her crib. I will put her in it after she falls asleep and she will wake up and start screaming until I take her out of it. My dh read that we should let her cry for a while and keep checking on her every couple of minutes. I would agree if she was older. I think its kind of cruel this young. Any thoughts on how to get her sleep in her crib?

Mel_in_PHX

Asked by Mel_in_PHX at 12:00 AM on Jan. 27, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Co-sleep. Why do you think most of the rest of us started? We had babies that wouldn't let us put them down! I swore I would never co-sleep, but my first son had very different ideas!

They're programmed to stay close to mom for protection.... it's hard-wired in. Just go with it and when she's ready, she'll sleep alone.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 1:30 AM on Jan. 27, 2010

• let her cry for a couple minutes. If she keeps crying then she needs you. I don't care what people say my babies slept with me till they were about 4months. It made breastfeeding a lot easier. plus it relieved stress off my mind knowing I could hear them breathing which relaxed me more knowing I wouldn't have to worry about SIDS.
    ellegrl

Answer by ellegrl at 12:03 AM on Jan. 27, 2010

• Never ever ever let a baby that young cry. Tell your husband that it is dangerous!
    A crib is VAST and cold and thus scary. It is not what a baby is used to or expects. Babies expect warm bodies and heartbeats.
    That said, you are putting the baby down too soon. If you put her down when she is in light sleep rather than deep sleep her alarm bells go off. Wait until all her limbs are limp, her breathing is steady, and her face is relaxed. That will be deep sleep. If she takes a swaddle, swaddle her so she feels held, warm, and secure. Let her sleep in a room where you are (that can be in a basket or infant seat or wherever. She doesn't HAVE to sleep in a crib.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 12:04 AM on Jan. 27, 2010

• For those who say it's 'dangerous' to let a 7 week old cry for a few mins, they're nuts. What do you think the babies in the ICU do, or triplets or babies in orphanages?! Not all babies get the luxury of being held every day, 24/7. Many moms will have you believe that's true, but it's just not. Crying for a few mins. isn't gonna kill them, if it did, many many babies would not survive. All my child did was cry for about 5 mos. whether or not anyone was holding her. Personally, we started training my baby to sleep on her own at 8 wks. We let her Cio for 5-10 min. intervals, always going in periodically to soothe. I'd rock her, she'd fall asleep, I'd put her down, and the cycle would continue until she gave up. It's no easy task but she was sleeping on her in her own crib at 4 mos. and sleeping 10-12 hrs. a night by 6 mos. It is worth it.

danielp

Answer by danielp at 12:08 AM on Jan. 27, 2010

• I co sleep, but I make a habit to try and let my baby sleep anywhere during the day...in arms, in sling, on my lap, on the couch, in her infant to toddler rocker seat, the cart at the grocery store, the car seat, etc. Always in a room where I am. At night she sleeps with us next to me. i have a crib set up side car style to give us more room. She is four months now and she tells ME when its time to go upstairs to bed and I"M the one who gets cranky because I know I should get sleep but I don't want to...LOL
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 12:08 AM on Jan. 27, 2010

• The babies in ICU and orphanages develop behavior problems for a reason. Why do you think kangaroo care was instituted? Because babies NEED to be held and responded to or else they do not thrive. A seven week old is too young to expect to sleep for long stretches. They have shorter cycles of seep that adults do and they NEED to eat often. And just because a persona claims a marathon twelve hour session of perfect baby sleep, doesn't mean that the baby isn't waking. It is more likely that the baby has learned not to cry out. Even adults wake at night for various reasons even if they don't remember. That is NORMAL sleep behavior. I'd be very frightened if my daughter slept for twelve hours especially during the first six months where SIDS is a risk. It isn't healthy or normal for young babies to sleep so deeply and not even wake up when they pee!
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 12:14 AM on Jan. 27, 2010

• Here is an article about it by Dr. Sears.  Just something to support what I said about babies sleeping differently and that long stretches of twelve hour sleeps are extremely unusual. 
    http://www.askdrsears.com/HTML/7/T070200.ASP -- Facts about sleep 
    http://www.askdrsears.com/html/7/T070900.asp -- HIgh needs babies
    http://www.askdrsears.com/html/7/T070300.asp  -- 31 ways to encourage sleep based on baby's needs and personality

amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 12:18 AM on Jan. 27, 2010

• if co-sleeping is an option, try it. it works! you'll never hear anyone complaining about how co-sleeping failed them or how baby stays awake all night. from my experience, co-sleeping made it possible for everyone to sleep. BF also made it easier because i'd just pull out my boob & she'd be fast asleep again within minutes. it helped me keep my sanity. the only con is that you don't have the bed all to yourself anymore & it makes intimate time with hubby more difficult. & the transition can be tough, but by the time you try to get baby out of the bed, they'll have a better understanding of what you want from them & can somewhat understand what you're trying to communicate. anyway, i swore i wouldn't co-sleep either, but it saved my sanity & i would have died from sleep deprivation the way my kids slept (or should i say didn't sleep). anyway, sorry i have no advice on how to get baby into a crib, just alternatives.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:10 AM on Jan. 27, 2010

• She is WAY too young to let her cry it out. Co-sleeping and baby wearing will be best for the next several months.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:10 AM on Jan. 27, 2010

• A couple minutes of supervised sleeping isnt going to hurt her. You can sit beside her and pat her or just keep your hand close to her for her to smell. I mean its just a suggestion to get her use to sleeping alone. If not co-sleeping is a great idea too. Ive done them all. All three of my babies where completely different.
    ellegrl

Answer by ellegrl at 2:22 PM on Jan. 27, 2010