Does having plastic surgery mean you have failed to accept yourself?

Sometimes I really think that's true. Isn't it easier to go out and get a nice boob job than to live with yourself and learn to accept your flaws? Surgery gives you an automatic fix, makes you look exactly how you want without ever having to really accept yourself for who you are. Look at Heidi Montag. She was a beauty and ruined it all out of insecurity and chasing after an ideal. Wouldn't her time and money have been better spent in therapy? What do you think?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:02 AM on Jan. 27, 2010 in Just for Fun

• i think it just means you thought something wasn't right, if it bothers you that much have it fixed. what about people with cleft palates? shouldn't they be allowed to get them fixed even if it doesn't interfere with their breathing just because they think it's unsightly. if it gives you such confidence then do it if you can afford it. buti don't want to see you on judge joe brown bc you wouldn't pay off your best friends credit card for a bad boob job.
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 12:06 AM on Jan. 27, 2010

• ignoring the question about heidi (not into pop culture, so I have NO CLUE who that is)

nope, I would simply be repairing the damage done by 3 pregnancies, gaining and losing over 100 lbs, and EBF... I would like to look like I used to, and that does not necessarily mean I have not "accepted" myself, but that I know I could be more confident in the stunning body I once possessed.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 12:08 AM on Jan. 27, 2010

• First of all, I think therapy is a WASTE of money. My friend has been going to therapy for like 2 years and she is no less of a mess than when she started. Accepting yourself and having an opportunity to enhance or actually correct something is an entire different story. No, I don't think it is lack of accepting yourself, but rather others not accepting you and trying to fix it. People pointing at your massively large nose or others calling you mosquito bites or a guy in my high school had a large mole on his cheek. Large as in like bigger than a half dollar with hair coming out of it. They called him Mike Barry Hairy Cheek..................if you get torn down on a regular basis, why wouldn't you fix it if you can?
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 12:11 AM on Jan. 27, 2010

• To some degrees yes I agree with you. Some people need plastic surgery for medical reasons like angevil said, cleft palates, or because of a problem something on their body/face is causing them that surgery can improve. My friend had a nose job because her nose has been broken so many times that she finally stopped being able to breath out of it when she laid on her back. My other friend had a breast reduction because her boobs were so big that they were causing her back problems. In cases like those, I think plastic surgery is necessary to improve quality of life and to fix actual medical problems...not because the person failed to accept themselves. In MJ's and Heidi Montag's cases though, they DO have a problem accepting themselves for who they are. Both of their money would have been better spent in intensive therapy.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:12 AM on Jan. 27, 2010

• No I do not. I have not had surgery but my sister has had 3 rhinoplastys, slang is nose job. My nose is straight, and small, hers was wide and big. She always hated her nose. She is happier today because she likes the way she looks. She likes the way she looks. I don't like the striving for perfection now days. I have a son with downs syndrome and in certain countries they would operate to make them look more normal. I wouldn't do that to my child. He wears his disability on his face, people know who he is, and make allowences for him. He does not need to look perfect, he is perfect in my eyes, and everyone loves him with his magnetic personality.
    SEEKEROFSHELLS

Answer by SEEKEROFSHELLS at 12:12 AM on Jan. 27, 2010

• But notice how we all talk about 'fixing' ourselves like there's some objective way to be? So my nose is 'too big.' According to who? By which standards is my nose being judged? By which standards are my breasts being judged? I think when we say 'no, everyone should have the opportunity to 'fix' themselves' we are saying that something is wrong with how we look and that there is an ideal. It's just sad. We should all boycott 'fixing' ourselves and try to accept who we are.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:15 AM on Jan. 27, 2010

• I think that it comes down to accepting who you are, which is not the same as how you look. I like the person I am, I really do, but I will admit that I'd love a boob lift and a tummy tuck. That doesn't mean I want to be "fixed" or that I'm striving for some ideal, I'd just like my nipples to point forward rather than down lol. In cases like MJ or Heidi, the problem is probably more on the inside than the outside. If you don't like what's inside how can you like what's on the outside? And if you don't like it, you will be constantly striving for "perfection" and never reaching it.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 1:19 AM on Jan. 27, 2010

• I think you are being a bit quick to judge people who have had the oppurtunity to make themselves feel better or look better. You are basing this off of celebrities from TV? That's a bit ridiculous, I could care less their reasoning for doing it, so they didn't feel right about the way something on their bodies appeared to themselves or other people....big flipping deal! It is ludicrous for you to suggest that people that have procedures performed need therapy......what about women who feel robbed of womanhood eventually due to having a mastectomy? Should they be denied of what they want due to some people thinking their money would have been more well suited to therapy? People have the right to do as they please NO MATTER THEIR REASONING, WE ARE NOT IN THEIR SHOES.....THEREFORE WE SHALL NOT JUDGE!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:28 AM on Jan. 27, 2010

• Well, I don't wanna call anyone a failure necessarily, but perhaps they have succumb to a society that over-values somebodies idea of perfection. True, in cases where someone was in a terrible accident, or cleft palate etc..., that's fine. But I know a family friend who truly was slim and pretty to begin with. She REALLY was fine, then she got her nose "done", then the boob job, then her lips filled, next was lipo on her butt and tummy. What tummy? She was already thin! Then when she was showing it off to me "Here, feel it!" Her tummy seriously felt like I was touching a corpse, cause it was that stiff and flat. I'm sorry, it was disgusting. I love her dearly, but yes, in her case, therapy would have been a much better option.
    earthmama727

Answer by earthmama727 at 1:35 AM on Jan. 27, 2010

• Oh yeah, then there was my cousin. Yes, his nose was a little big. But he was still handsome. It wasn't even his idea, his wife kept hounding him-- in that certain way, " I think he should do it, I'm gonna get him a nose job for his birthday, don't you think it would just be good for him?" In otherwords, he would have never done it except that his wife couldn't accept him, so he did it for her. Seriously, anytime you go under anesthesia, you are potentially risking your life, and to do that for sheer vanity, well...

Sure to each their own, but I don't beleive in it.
    earthmama727

Answer by earthmama727 at 1:40 AM on Jan. 27, 2010