PLEEEEEEEEEASE... HOW DO I GET MY 8 month old to TAKE a Bottle!!? or Sippy cup... or cup whatever!

I love breastfeeding my baby-girl, however, I will be heading to work in 2 months and I NEED to have her take a bottle!! I have EVERY bottle that exists... I even have 3 kinds of sippy cups and she HATES all of them! :(

What to do?

DAMARYSZAMPINI

Asked by DAMARYSZAMPINI at 12:03 AM on Jan. 27, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Leave and have someone else do it. She will fight it but eventually she will get hungry and eat. I tried to get my daughter to take one and wasn't successful. The first day away, she fought it all day and only ate about 2 oz. She waited until I was home to eat. The next day, she gave up and ate. My pediatrician told me it's normal and not harmful. Most of them resist the first time.
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 12:04 AM on Jan. 27, 2010

• keep breastfeeding. She wants it. Is it mandatory for you to go back to work so soon? Do you put formula or breast milk in the bottles you try to feed her?
    If it is mandatory then your probably going to have to pop your booby out her mouth in a quick exchange for a bottle or sippy cup and I mean fast. she will spit it out at first. Just give her the booby again and then pop out and bottle...It worked for me. it confuses them at first but lets them know there are more ways to get the milk. hope this helps.
    ellegrl

Answer by ellegrl at 12:07 AM on Jan. 27, 2010

• Hand her to SOMEONE ELSE and LEAVE. You need to be out of sight smell hearing. Go shopping or something. When hungry baby WILL eat. If you're giving the bottle it's pretty much a doomed effort...babies are smart. Whyt take an imitation when the real thing is right there?

Answer by gdiamante at 12:10 AM on Jan. 27, 2010

• She's old enough that she might just wait for you. Or she might not take a cup until you leave.
    And, have you tasted the nipples yourself?...some of them are FOUL. Just he nature of the artificial.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 12:20 AM on Jan. 27, 2010

• My son wouldn't take the bottle neither the sippy cup. What have worked for us is a regular cup. I pour a little bit of juice in a regular cup and he is OK with it.
    Energ8zr

Answer by Energ8zr at 12:24 AM on Jan. 27, 2010

• She'll be 10 months at that point and fully capable of waiting for you to get home. Leave a sippy and some milk and if she wants it, she'll take it... if not, no big deal. She may just take water and solids while you are away.

And it can take them a few months to figure out sippy cups. My first figured it out at 11 months and the baby just did at 10 months. Offer it with water, no pressure and she'll get the hang of it.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 12:44 AM on Jan. 27, 2010

• You need to have someone else feed her, with you out of the house.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:08 AM on Jan. 27, 2010

• I want to say Nuby brand worked well for us. They flexed & my son could figure it out--he just chewed on the hard cups. Only took a bottle once, then never again. He also liked the straw cup. I sat him on my lap facing outward, helped him hold the cup in his hands then bring it to his mouth. I think he was about 6-7 months old.
    RugersMommy06

Answer by RugersMommy06 at 11:29 AM on Jan. 27, 2010