is it true that the last ten pounds are the hardest to get rid of?

I have been seriously eating very healthy and sensible, exercising regularly for 3 wks and although I've lost 3 lbs my actual inches lost on my stomach are 0!! Lost zero inches and it seems like its really hard to lose the 15 lbs I want gone. What's up with this? Its very discouraging and frustrating. Is there truth to the last 10 lbs is the hardest? And why?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:21 AM on Jan. 27, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Yepp its been true with me! I gained 50lbs when I was pregnant. 2 days after giving birth, I had already lost 20lbs. Within a week I lost 10 more. Then another week went by and I lost 5 more. Then 5 again. Now my son is almost 6 months old and I literally have EXACTLY 10 lbs left to go until I'm back to what I was before I was pregnant and I swear they will not come off! I think everyone hits a plateau when losing weight. Maybe try Weight Watchers or the Atkins diet for awhile. That might break the barrier.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 12:25 AM on Jan. 27, 2010

• OP here- do you think I should just hit the pavement hardcore for like a straight wk w/ other exercises and maybe that will m$ake it budge. Because honestly I work out everydya from 30 min to an hour and still I didn't lose the 3 lbs til now. I have been eating extremely good. Noo cheating and still. Ineed support. Ugg this is frustrating
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:30 AM on Jan. 27, 2010

• I have been working with personal trainers for years. I have a major problem though with weight gain during my pregnancies and have noticed the last 10 pounds do stick-UNLESS you change up your workout routine. Fad diets won't do it!! Diet (what you eat) is definately 70% of weight loss-however if you are dieting and working out and see no results then you have hit the infamous "plateau" which means your body has conditioned itself to staying that size. Why? It generally has to do with your muscles becoming conditioned to your routine. You need to change it up! Instead of doing the elyptical an hour a day(for example)-try running for 5 minutes and walking for 5 minutes-you need to make your heart rate rise and fall (you will burn more fat) also...NO carbs with dinner (your body needs carbs for energy but not always at night) and no white flour (white bread, white rice,noodles) stick to nuts and whole wheat. good luck!
    flowermom76

Answer by flowermom76 at 12:59 AM on Jan. 27, 2010

• If you're on your last 10-15 lbs, 3lbs in 3 weeks sounds normal. What are you doing for exercise? If you want to lose faster maybe you need to step up your intensity. How many of your workouts are 30 mins? It may not be long enough.

I think it's true that the last 10 lbs come off slower. When you have a lot of weight to lose, making some changes in your diet and exercise can cause you to lose a lot of weight in a relatively short period of time. But, as your body gets down to lower and lower weights you often have to make more changes in order to see more results. Those changes are often harder to make because it means exercising longer / harder and eating more carefully.

To try and illustrate, imagine a 300 lb person who eats junk and a big bottle of soda all day. Just taking away that bottle of soda could create a huge calorie deficit. So lets say they lose 50 lbs with that alone. Now more changes need to be cont
    EmilyandIsaac

Answer by EmilyandIsaac at 7:06 AM on Jan. 27, 2010

• made to make more changes. So they start replacing the junk with fruits and veggies. Lose another 50 lbs. Now to lose some more we need to add in some exercise. Lose another 20 lbs. Now we're platued again and the exercise level needs to progress to lose the rest.

When you're at your last 10 lbs often it's just that there are not many changes left to make and those changes often require working hard and eating more strictly. It certainly is different for everyone, depending on their metabolism, but in general this is what happens for a lot of people.
    EmilyandIsaac

Answer by EmilyandIsaac at 7:13 AM on Jan. 27, 2010

• One thing I would like to add: DRINK WATER! I admit, it's hard to get used to drinking water, but once your body gets used to you drinking water you will start to crave it. Last summer, I began drinking nothing but spring water, ( I'm lactose intolerant, which helped) no pop, only a small glass of orange juice with breakfast, and I continue to take vitamins every day. This has worked for me, with an aerobic workout 3 times a week, and a cardio workout 2 X a week.It takes discipline, but you'll get there!
    Aprilmorgans

Answer by Aprilmorgans at 7:39 AM on Jan. 27, 2010