Do you think it's ok to smoke while pregnant?

Do you know what it does to the baby?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:58 AM on Jan. 27, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Nope, I don't think it is ok to smoke while pregnant. Anyone that thinks it is ok, is delusional and selfish!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:59 AM on Jan. 27, 2010

• absolutely not! cigarettes contain 2 dangerous chemicals, carbon monoxide and nicotine.. in some cases arsenic as well. It can lower birth weight and even more important, it constricts blood vessels which take oxygen and nutrient rich blood to the baby. If you are a smoker.. now is the perfect time to stop!
    alinker

Answer by alinker at 1:04 AM on Jan. 27, 2010

• Coming from first hand no. I had my son who I smoked with at 24 weeks. He weighed 1 lb 6 oz and was 12 in. long. He is legally blind and has cleft lip and palate. Its not worth it hun. He has surgeries to fix both. He has had 5 surgeries and is only 2.5. I live with guilt everyday. Please stop. Good luck hun!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:11 AM on Jan. 27, 2010

• No I dont think its OK to smoke while pregnant, but a lot of ppl do. Know would be the best time to stop and be proud of yourself for doing so.
    neonmommy98

Answer by neonmommy98 at 1:14 AM on Jan. 27, 2010

• no i dont think it is i get mad when my hubby smokes around me i end up going off and i had a friend that smoke through her pregs and then said she was going to stop smoking when she was at the end i think that was pointless
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:19 AM on Jan. 27, 2010

• Smoking while pregnant will:

Lower the amount of oxygen available to you and your growing baby.
    Increase your baby's heart rate.
    Increase the chances of miscarriage and stillbirth.
    Increase the risk that your baby is born prematurely and/or born with low birth weight.
    Increase your baby's risk of developing respiratory (lung) problems.
    alaskansglmom

Answer by alaskansglmom at 1:21 AM on Jan. 27, 2010

• My mom smoked with all 5 of her pregnancies. Does not mean its right. Not every baby can chance there health on smoking in pregnancy. I can't stand women/men smoking in the faces of pregnant women who choose not to smoke. 1 woman who was heavily pregnant thought if it was ok to smoke during her pregnancy it was ok to blow the smoke near my baby/kids to breathe in! I have never had a smoke in my life. Yet my 1st born daughter was born sick from AROM during a rapid NVD
    (suspected sepsis) no relation to my severe maternal anemia at 35 weeks, she remained healthy, strong in my womb with a good heartbeat and normal growth. Her term Birthweight was 7 pounds 1 oz and 49.5cm. Apgars 7/9.
    pumpkinpie778

Answer by pumpkinpie778 at 1:31 AM on Jan. 27, 2010

• No it is not okay to smoke during pregnancy. It can cause stillbirth, low birth weight, asthma, allergies, prematurity, respiratory problems, etc.
    mnt_2_b_mommy

Answer by mnt_2_b_mommy at 1:56 AM on Jan. 27, 2010

• With out a doubt in my mind NOT ok! I am very judgmental to parents that do and see absolutely no reason to put your unborn child at a health risk like that!
    Assila

Answer by Assila at 4:23 AM on Jan. 27, 2010

• no i do not think it's "ok"

http://www.marchofdimes.com/professionals/14332_1171.asp

"increased risk of serious health problems during the newborn period, chronic lifelong disabilities (such as cerebral palsy, mental retardation and learning problems), and even death. "
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 9:21 AM on Jan. 27, 2010