Treating kennel cough?

Found the perfect pup to adopt...unfortunately the place I want to adopt him from is...not the best? Their mission is awesome, and I'm sure they do as best they can for the animals, but I still have some concerns about this pup. He coughed a few times while we were there, and it's very possible he was just pulling on his leash too hard. But if he does end up with kennel cough (the vet doesn't vaccinate for it an longer), how is it treated, and does it cost a lot to treat? I don't know if they offer any sort of health guarantee on their animals (I'm guessing not..), and I already have a dog at home I don't want sick either. Any advice?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:02 AM on Jan. 27, 2010 in Pets

• You are in luck my friend! I just adopted a dog who had kennel cough. It's common from any pet rescue and low cost spay and neuter clinics. Both my dogs got it and I took them in at the same time. The vet gave them some meds and sent them home. They were better in a week! Also, it only costed me $188 for BOTH dogs to be seen and treated and I had a rabies shot included on that because my beagle was due.
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 1:25 AM on Jan. 27, 2010

• If you want the puppy go for it! Most rescues battle with bordatella. It's common.
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 1:26 AM on Jan. 27, 2010

• My cat had kennel cough when we got her. Most (not all) animals from any sort of shelter will possibly have this. They gave us a pill for it. I'm not sure where you are from, but here the humane society has a thing where if you take your newly adopted pet with in like a month (I think it was) they get a free check up, and most kennel illnesses are covered by the humane society. If you take them in during that time frame.
    DixieRoadrash

Answer by DixieRoadrash at 1:27 AM on Jan. 27, 2010

• Treating kennel cough is very easy. Robitussin DM!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:59 AM on Jan. 27, 2010

• Is your other dog vaccinated against it? When we got our second dog as a puppy she got kennel cough a few weeks later and our older dog never did get it. The vet prescribed an antibiotic and said to give her cough medicine as needed. She only really coughed when she got excited so I just tried to keep her calm and we never did use the cough medicine. When you take him to the vet for it make sure you tell them you suspect he has it. Our vet put us in a room right away instead of us being in the waiting room.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 9:42 AM on Jan. 27, 2010