Sounds familiar

This sounds just like those churches that speak in tongues and heal people doesn't it?

21"Not everyone who says to me, 'Lord, Lord,' will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only he who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. 22Many will say to me on that day, 'Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and in your name drive out demons and perform many miracles?' 23Then I will tell them plainly, 'I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!'

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:34 AM on Jan. 27, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• What's wrong with it?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:46 AM on Jan. 27, 2010

• 15Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves.
    16Ye shall know them by their fruits. Do men gather grapes of thorns, or figs of thistles?
    17Even so every good tree bringeth forth good fruit; but a corrupt tree bringeth forth evil fruit.
    18A good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit, neither can a corrupt tree bring forth good fruit.
    19Every tree that bringeth not forth good fruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire.
    20Wherefore by their fruits ye shall know them

these are the verses before it, if you actually stop putting verses in boxes you'd understand he was speaking false prophets. to me that's kinda like the ones on tv that like to show off and get people's money, but who am i to judge?

ACTS 2 And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance. go ahead, read the chapter
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:02 AM on Jan. 27, 2010

• The verse you refer to is addressing false prophets and hypocrites. Those who talked the talk but never walked the walk, as it were.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:42 AM on Jan. 27, 2010

• this part 22Many will say to me on that day, 'Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and in your name drive out demons and perform many miracles?' 23Then I will tell them plainly, 'I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!'
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:15 AM on Jan. 27, 2010

• OP you need to explain more
    RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 6:34 AM on Jan. 27, 2010

• I don't see the connection either.
    Lexylex

Answer by Lexylex at 7:02 AM on Jan. 27, 2010

• I see the contradiction, and I think that they need not be ignored. So many believers (in the bible) dispute rather or not a person will enter heaven if they abide by certain rules. Well to me in these verses I read that God will reject handful of ppl that he doesnt fill lived the perfect life. B/c in one verse its "who so ever believes, calls, and/or confesses" then in another its "not by good works alone," then its "have faith and spread the word," then its " last minute repenting and you get in (man on the cross next to Jesus)" and now its " do as I say, but you forgot some steps so you're out". The list goes on, and yet the only response a nonbeliever will get is that the verse is out of context, or that you have to read the entire chpt, or that it no longer applies to modern day ways. Looks like an apple - taste like a tomato

sugahmamma

Answer by sugahmamma at 9:10 AM on Jan. 27, 2010

• What I get out of this verse is that there will be many that people think are "great Christ followers" and it appears to outsiders that they say and do all the right things. They do good works in their community and appear to glorify God with all they do. The problem is this person's heart may not be in the right place. Everyone can see what's going on on the outside, but only God sees what's going on on the inside. In this case, God really doesn't know them. They may tell others to forgive, but they are harboring unforgiveness toward others in their own heart. Who knows, really? God has a tough job, because He can see the true person, and knows what their true intentions are. I'm sure there will be many in both heaven and hell that will surprise us. Verses like this make me want to keep my heart in check, and make sure I'm doing everything to glorify God and not to make other people happy!
    ChereseB

Answer by ChereseB at 10:24 AM on Jan. 27, 2010

• No, it is not talking about pentacostal churches. It is talking about false teachers and people who profess faith in God and do not really have a relationship with Him. They can be from any denomination.

People can speak in heavenly languages and heal and prophesy WITH the Holy Spirit leading them and know God very intimately. This is a powerful part of God's plan for ministry on earth. God is real and He moves in supernatural ways.

Other people can be fake and phony and do things like this to draw attention and glory and money to themselves. God will judge them and cast many people like that to hell if they don't humbly and honestly repent and ask for forgiveness.
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 11:22 AM on Jan. 27, 2010

• sugarmama, the Bible consistently teaches that we are saved by faith. That is it. But if we have REAL deep faith in God it will be evidenced by how we live. If we believe in the Gospel, we will share it. If we love God and He is holy we will WANT to be holy and pleasing to Him. If we love God we will love the Bible. We will trust Him when we go through hard times, etc.

Faith is EVIDENCED by actions, and vice versa. Certain actions show that you probably don't have the faith you think you do. If you say you love God, but do not love other people you are a liar. If you say you love God but don't seek to obey Him, you are a liar. Etc. That is what the Bible says at least, and it makes sense.

James says, I will show you my faith by my works. I hope people can look at my life, and see my passion for God.
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 11:32 AM on Jan. 27, 2010