Guns _vs_ Alcohol

We are having a debate... I personally think guns need to be outlawed, then he said he thinks alcohol needs to be outlawed. Neither of us agree with the others views. Some people might say "both unnecessarily kill people and that one is just as deadly as the next". I personally think that guns are far more deadly than alcohol. One person can have a gun and take 6-8 lives at once, however alcoholism generally only kills one person at a time. I also understand with my statement that drunk drivers kill people all of the time, but generally I see more gun violence then I do violence stemmed directly from alcohol.

I also think that if people have been treated as an alcoholic that they should not be allowed to purchase it. There should be some sort of endorsement permanently on their license or ID restricting them from doing so.

What do YOU think? No bashing on this. Trying to have a civilized conversation so don't spread hate.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:00 AM on Jan. 27, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Neither, actually. They already tried making alcohol illegal. It led to lots more gun violence. (Al Capone woulda been a piker if not for Prohibition.)

I'd like to outlaw stupid people who drink and drive, and violent people who harm others with guns...but that won't happen either.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:04 AM on Jan. 27, 2010

• I'd like to outlaw stupid people who drink and drive, and violent people who harm others with guns...but that won't happen either.

i second that. i agree with everything she said
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:20 AM on Jan. 27, 2010

• well 85,000 people die every year due to alcohol related deaths & 29,000 people a year from firearm related deaths,so if you want to know wich is worse ,Alcohol.Fire arms should not be banned because most people who have gun permits or have a legal firearm are people who want to protect themselves and their family's from harm.If you ban firearms then you will be taking them away from more honest people then you would bad people because do you think that when someone robs a bank or a home they are like well i better have a permit for this,or it would even stop criminals from purchasing them illegally?No they are criminals they are going to dis obey the law no matter what and the only deffense us good people have are our firearms,criminals will actually tell you that if they know the owner of a place and or home has a gun they will not risk robbing it because they could get killed.Alcohol is bad to innocent people die from it 2
    Anonymous

• and smoking is the number one killer by the way lol
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:23 AM on Jan. 27, 2010

• There is just something about a reckless parent with a gun that scares me, and then a little kid that blows their brains out that infuriates me.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:51 AM on Jan. 27, 2010

• I think that every state should have the right to carry guns. (Illinois) is one of the FEW states that does not allow people to carry a concealed weapon. They also have one of the higher crime rates. Regardless of having the right to carry-
    the gang bangers who are shooting people are carrying illegally & do you think they would register their guns anyhow?
    Even if they are outlawed... They are still going to be carried.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:40 AM on Jan. 27, 2010

• Well put it this way the ones who misuse both will get their hands on either one even if it is outlawed so why shouldn't I have a gun to defend myself against the lawbreakers who don't care that they are illegal?? BTW Australia banned guns and home invasion crimes with guns went up 70% that my friend is scary.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 3:50 AM on Jan. 27, 2010

• Prohibition saw the birth of organised crime in America.  Introducing it again would only make the gun problem worse.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 6:22 AM on Jan. 27, 2010

• i agree ban guns and only the criminals will have them. i live in a rural area where the majority of the population, mostly boys but some girls , learn to shoot at an early age. hunting is big here. they start out with BB guns and work thier way up. at the age of 12 , if they want to hunt, local DNR offers formal gun training. but most don't really need it. but it's the law. i've lived here 44 years and theres been one hunting accident. by a city hunter. children raised with how to use and respect guns, don't shoot each other. i did think for a minute that your idea of putting something on the licences of people treated for alcoholism was a good idea and it might slow some people down but then they'd just get it the way some minors do. pay someone else to buy for them.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:17 AM on Jan. 27, 2010

• Guns don't kill people, people kill people.
    This coming from someone who lost BOTH of my parents from a gun - but it wasn't the 'gun' it was the person behind it.

There should be more strict rules with them - but NOT have them 'outlawed'. I would love to see the person try to take our guns away... they would have TROUBLE to say the least.
    And with alcohol... There should be HARSHER punishments for drinking and driving and alcohol related deaths. But not outlaw it.
    RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 7:51 AM on Jan. 27, 2010