Baby thermometer reading

My 4 month old son has a temp of 100.4. I heard that when you take the reading rectally you subtract a degree. Is this true? I am very concerned

LilBoo417

Asked by LilBoo417 at 2:29 AM on Jan. 27, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My sons doc told me that if it wasnt over 101 or higher that I could give him a lil infants tylenol drops and keep checking it every couple hours..The hospital nurse told me if it was 104 or higher I shouldnt be concerned...and this all rectal temps...The way I look at it when it got much over 101.0 he went in for a visit...
    sleepless2009

Answer by sleepless2009 at 2:33 AM on Jan. 27, 2010

• It depends on what thermometer you are using. Do you have the original instructions that go with it? I know anal thermometers are most accurate for babies. I have a digital forehead thermometer for my daughter and it is always about 3 degrees less than what the doctor says it is. You could also look online for what type of thermometer you have.

Also, I know this won't help now, but take your child's temperature when he is NOT sick everyday for about a week or two. This will let you know what his "normal" temp is with your thermometer. My daughter's normal temp is 96 with the digi thermometer, so when she run 99 degrees, I take her to the doctor, because I know that is actually over 101.
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 4:45 AM on Jan. 27, 2010