where and how do i pursue child support?

My ex-husband had custody of my three children for a year, and in that year I paid no child support, so when I received custody of the children, the papers stated that he wasn't to pay child support for the first year. That year will be up in July, and I was wondering, first of all, if I needed to file for child support in Texas, where the case originates. Also, I was wondering how I go about doing that... will I need an attorney? Or is this something that I can file on my own? Thanks!

prinzesstephi

Asked by prinzesstephi at 2:54 AM on Jan. 27, 2010 in General Parenting

• An attorney would be advisable. Everything is done in family court.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:07 AM on Jan. 27, 2010

• Contact the local child support enforcement agency first in your area in some states they will set up a case to determine child support, some wont if you arent on any assistance. I would also call an attorney most give you the first visit free to consult and you can ask questions there. If you are no longer in texas and somewhere else it is possible that you can have a new case opened in your state if you meet the residency requirements.
    okmommy08

Answer by okmommy08 at 7:50 AM on Jan. 27, 2010

• You need to open a case where you and the children live. It will either be Child Support Enforcement or the Attorney General. You do not need an attorney. You call them, they will send you the paperwork on the children and the ex and then you send it all back in. It is super easy to do!
    ZaTa

Answer by ZaTa at 8:31 AM on Jan. 27, 2010

• http://www.childsupportweb.com/cse/statepages/Texas.php

mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 10:29 AM on Jan. 27, 2010