Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

where and how do i pursue child support?

My ex-husband had custody of my three children for a year, and in that year I paid no child support, so when I received custody of the children, the papers stated that he wasn't to pay child support for the first year. That year will be up in July, and I was wondering, first of all, if I needed to file for child support in Texas, where the case originates. Also, I was wondering how I go about doing that... will I need an attorney? Or is this something that I can file on my own? Thanks!

Answer Question

Asked by prinzesstephi at 2:54 AM on Jan. 27, 2010 in General Parenting

Level 12 (822 Credits)
Answers (4)
  • An attorney would be advisable. Everything is done in family court.

    Answer by gdiamante at 3:07 AM on Jan. 27, 2010

  • Contact the local child support enforcement agency first in your area in some states they will set up a case to determine child support, some wont if you arent on any assistance. I would also call an attorney most give you the first visit free to consult and you can ask questions there. If you are no longer in texas and somewhere else it is possible that you can have a new case opened in your state if you meet the residency requirements.

    Answer by okmommy08 at 7:50 AM on Jan. 27, 2010

  • You need to open a case where you and the children live. It will either be Child Support Enforcement or the Attorney General. You do not need an attorney. You call them, they will send you the paperwork on the children and the ex and then you send it all back in. It is super easy to do!

    Answer by ZaTa at 8:31 AM on Jan. 27, 2010



    Answer by mommymeg03 at 10:29 AM on Jan. 27, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.