California School District Bans Dictionary..... Seriously?

Looked up the link to another ? on here, and found this -- Talk about over-reacting!

A California school district has added a new book to the controversial list of literature that is considered unfit for young eyes.

It's the dictionary.

The Golden State's Menifee Union School District has yanked all copies of Merriam-Webster's Collegiate Dictionary from its shelves and is investigating the classic American text for containing "age-inappropriate" words.

The trouble started when an inquisitive student got lost somewhere between "oralism" and "orang" and found a rather recent entry to the lexicon: "oral sex," a phrase that has been in common parlance since 1973 but still makes many parents fairly hot under the collar.

"I think common sense seems to be lacking in this school."

Read all about it: http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,584010,00.html?loomia_ow=t0:s0:a4:g4:r1:c0.000000:b0:z5

29again

Asked by 29again at 3:07 AM on Jan. 27, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• wow...
    what's next if they get to ban the dictionary?
    and I would rather have my kid look up the meaning of such things in there than get some wierd definition from other kids!
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 10:01 AM on Jan. 27, 2010

• UPDATE from the Riverside Press-Enterprise:

The Merriam-Webster Collegiate Dictionary will return to fourth- and fifth-grade classrooms at Oak Meadows Elementary School, a committee of Menifee Union School District parents, teachers and administrators decided Tuesday.

An alternate dictionary also will be placed in the classrooms, and parents will have the option of choosing which dictionary their child can use, Superintendent Linda Callaway said in a statement about the committee's decision at a school board meeting Tuesday.

http://www.pe.com/localnews/menifee/stories/PE_News_Local_W_sdictionary27.4315477.html

Answer by gdiamante at 3:10 AM on Jan. 27, 2010

• There should be children-appropriate dictionaries. If the school replaced them with such books, then I completely support this. You dont want your child learning the words fuck, bitch or cunt, however when they open up the dictionary they are right there.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:17 AM on Jan. 27, 2010

• Oh please so people overreact about anything unreal.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 3:17 AM on Jan. 27, 2010

• As if they don't learn those words at school from others or even at home from us, big deal.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 3:18 AM on Jan. 27, 2010

• Thanks for the update! I read the article, plus the link at the bottom to the local paper (which was from 1/22) and thought the whole thing was just CRAZY!!
    29again

Answer by 29again at 3:19 AM on Jan. 27, 2010

• So you mean to tell me you wouldnt be like WTF DONT SAY THAT WORD or youll be in trouble to your kid? And when you hand them off to someone, do you prefer that they cuss around your kids or not? I mean, by not agreeing to this you are pretty much saying "Oh honey, you know I really dont mind if you know the words just watch it around company please... Keep your language clean". Give me a freakin break.

You might as well put cartoon porn on the TV and let them watch that too. Its cartoons after all, isnt it? It sends pretty much the same damn message.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:23 AM on Jan. 27, 2010

• Oh please, they hear bad words on a daily basis and as parents we teach them that they are not ok for them to use, it doesn't matter that they are in the dictionary you still teach them right and wrong.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 3:31 AM on Jan. 27, 2010

• The overreaction is that this ever got any press coverage - it's been picked up internationally. The first article I saw on it was from a London paper. WHY is this even news?
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 4:01 AM on Jan. 27, 2010

• Haha, ok I am laughing at this, but curious minds will find explanations anywhere. My dad had a HUGE Webster's dictionary when I was little, and my mom had a detailed birthing book, because she was pregnant when I was 4. Let's just say I knew ALLLL about sex before I was 5 years old!!

Whether or not dictionaries are in school, kids will find out what they want to know. Banning dictionaries is just ridiculous. At the very least, they should just replace them with child-friendly versions. :)
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 4:15 AM on Jan. 27, 2010