My Son Is Still Drooling Excessively And He Is Already 1.. Advice??

My Son has beeen drooling since the day he came home from the hospital!! And i always thought it was just cause he is teething but i was always waiting for teeeth to come and he finally just got his first two bottom teeth in December 2009, but he is still drooling. I was just wondering if anyone knows how to teach them to swallow their spit or something. Lol. Cause i literally have to change his shirt like at least 3 times a day. Anways Please help if you cann! :)

Thank you, Leanne (Ethan's Mommy)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:58 AM on Jan. 27, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Have you talked to your pediatrician about this? just sounds to me like he is still teething with many more yet to come. they are major drool balls the first year and a half to two years.
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 7:17 AM on Jan. 27, 2010

• If he just got his first 2 teeth last month then it might be awhile before your drool factory slows down.What is he eating? What does he drink out of? I have a 12 month old with 13 teeth. His extra drool became less and less of a problem as he started eating more solids and drinking out of a cup instead of a bottle. I don't know if the 2 are related or not but they seemed to happen right about the same time. That said, he still has his wet shirt days.
    Krysden

Answer by Krysden at 7:53 AM on Jan. 27, 2010

• My son drooled till he was almost two and still does sometimes at almost three. It will slow down when he gets all of his teeth in.
    Jjoneslagrange

Answer by Jjoneslagrange at 7:58 AM on Jan. 27, 2010

• Some kids drool more than others. I use to keep my son in waterproof bibs during the worst of it. Most kids get better at swallowing the drool as they get older. If he's already one and only has two teeth, he's going to be a very slow teether (my son was also slow) so you probably have a fair amount of drool yet to come. Excessive drool can be a sign of low oral muscle tone. This isn't a big deal but it can interfere with speech. Notice if he tends to keep his mouth open a lot (i.e. his bottom jaw seems to droop a bit). If that's the case, mention it to his doctor. Encouraging him to form his mouth into a circle and blow (i.e. like you're going to blow bubbles) helps. Do bubbles or put light things onto your hand (paper or puff balls) and encourage him to blow them off. Drinking from a straw also helps build the muscles.
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 10:56 AM on Jan. 27, 2010

• Nothing really you can do... we finally realized our daughter wasn't drooling anymore at almost 16 months! Some kids are just that way.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 12:13 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• Thank you so much everyone! :) I appreciate your advice.
    EthansMommy1120

Answer by EthansMommy1120 at 1:33 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• I posted almost this exact same question about a week ago but my daughter is 18 months and has all of her teeth so just a warning when your kiddo gets them all the drooling wont neccisarilly stop. Mine gets it from her daddy so I hear and she wears bibs sometimes but they just ruin her cute outfits..haha..but she does know how to swallow it pretty good now. Just hang in there. ;)
    BaileysMommy523

Answer by BaileysMommy523 at 3:44 PM on Jan. 29, 2010