removing implants that are ruptured.

i need as much info as i can get. anyone else ever dealt with this. these implants are 20 years old. they are silicone and are leaking. i need expert advise. i have a plastic surgeon who i have seen and waiting for health insurance.

runlikethewind

Asked by runlikethewind at 7:44 AM on Jan. 27, 2010 in Health

• This is what I found at the mayoclinic... It is not toxic and it does not cause health issues. It will cause your breast to become deformed etc with the scar tissue that will/can develop.. Removing the implants and adding new ones or a breast lift is needed to repair the damage. The scar tissue will also have to be removed... Here is the info..

The major problem associated with ruptured silicone breast implants is the formation of scar tissue in the breast. If the rupture isn't addressed, the scar tissue can lead to pain and changes in the contour or shape of the breast. However, there's no scientific evidence that ruptured silicone breast implants cause serious, long-term health problems — such as breast cancer or connective tissue diseases.

midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 9:25 AM on Jan. 27, 2010

• Wow they are leaking? How does that feel? I got mine in 2005 and plan to have them redone either in 2015. Atleast that is what I was told to get them redone every 10 years. I wish I had something to tell you but I would be on the same boat as you.
    Does or did your insurance cover this procedure, mine didn't but hey it is all worth every thousand...lol I love them especially after having my kids...they look like when I was before pregnancy :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:49 AM on Jan. 27, 2010

• Isn't the silicone toxic?

Answer by rkoloms at 9:04 AM on Jan. 27, 2010