Why do Americans feel so entitled anyway?

Why do we feel entitled to money that we don't work for? Why do we feel that we have to be paid for every little thing we do, or it's not worth doing? Where did this feeling of entitlement come from? Our poor ancestors did not mean for us to behave like this. They worked hard for what they left us... hard, meaning somethings come without pay. It's so hard to read some of these- I deserve- questions. What about our country's volunteers who risk their lives daily for you and I, and don't receive pay? Some questions on here just break my heart to think that these our the people who we are left with.... Don't you just think that they are pathetic? I honor the people who give... not receive. So, what do you think?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:13 AM on Jan. 27, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Because Americans were raised from the 1950's on to think that they were the end-all be-all Gods of Earth, the penultimate civilization that would conquer all and be the best of the best of the best. Little did we know that this coddling attitude would backfire immensely. Yes, those who feel "entitled" have been around as long as there have been human beings, but with the invention of television, radio, and the internet, these people are more in the spotlight than ever.

Americans need to realize that we are NOT perfect, we are NOT entitled to everything the world has to offer, and we will NOT be the ultimate power of the world forever and ever amen. Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it. People so readily forget about Rome, Egypt, England, Germany, France, Italy, Russia, and Japan.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 10:17 AM on Jan. 27, 2010

• Well, I thought you were making a great point until you asked if we think they are "pathetic". That keeps the cycle going. Helping people understand the value of giving doesn't start with putting them down.

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 9:20 AM on Jan. 27, 2010

• its great to help others but at the same time you still want to get paid when your spending a great amount of time doing it. I'm sorry that you feel its entitlment but if you have a family to feed and bills to pay you don't have much time to be voulunteering away without getting payment in return. I volunteer sometimes but the reality is i gotta work and i want to be paid for it. sounds selfish but its the truth
    symle456

Answer by symle456 at 9:20 AM on Jan. 27, 2010

• I think that the more technology driven we become the more like this we are. As we move away w/ having to deal w/ ppl in real life & interact w/ others thru typing or immerse ourselves in video games (our kids) the more we lose our ppl skills. We live in a society that wants it NOW!!! delayed gratification is a thing of the past. We have also become a society of convience over hard work, lot easier to take a weight loss pill or a happy pill then address the core of the problem. We have become an overmedicated, uncaring, society & I 4 1 think its sad.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:21 AM on Jan. 27, 2010

• The majority of the people that get aid are pathetic. People that get aid may be; dying, have horrible diseases, have low IQs, mentally ill, have been abused, have no family to help them, have lost their home, have lost everything they own, have been deserted by the person that supported them, are going through difficult divorces, can't find jobs, victims of crime, spent all their money paying medical bills, helpless children, helpless elderly.

Very little of your hard earned money goes to help others. Be very greatful you are not in any of these situations. You may be one day. What if your child was diagnosed with a devastating disease and you had to liquidate everything you own for treatment and your child still died. Then you couldn't find a job and your husband left you because of the stress and you and your other children are homeless. Hope it doesn't happen to you. I have 3 children with horrible diseases.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 9:40 AM on Jan. 27, 2010

• Because we are spoiled. We are used to getting everything & taking it for granted. I know senoir citzen going with out meds while welfare recips get more then they need or can possibly use.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:44 AM on Jan. 27, 2010

• the concept that anyone should do any work and not get paid fully for it is moronic. Other than that I think you are acting like a spoilt brat with no sympathy for other's situations. and I hope someday you learn better before you learn it the heard way. You will likely be one of those pathetic folks whenyou are older.
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 9:45 AM on Jan. 27, 2010

• Not everyone feels that they are "entitled". The ones that feel they are entitled to something are the ones that choose not to work and just leech off of the government and taxpayers. People working and expecting to get paid are doing so to SURVIVE. If you have a family to support, you need money to do that. It's a harsh reality. Going out and busting your ass just to come back to your family empty-handed is not only stupid, but it's selfish. Back when people worked for practically nothing, they were farmers, they bartered, and didn't have the cost of living that we have now. Times have changed, as have the people. People should be willing to help others out of the kindness of their hearts but to work and expect nothing is impossible.
    nicolemstacy

Answer by nicolemstacy at 10:12 AM on Jan. 27, 2010

• I don't. I was raised to believe that hard work and motivation gets you what you want. Not by expecting handouts. Don't lump all americans into this category.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 10:25 AM on Jan. 27, 2010

• embarrassed

RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 10:37 AM on Jan. 27, 2010