Extremely fussy 3 month old

My 3 month old fusses a lot! He's happy for a few hours in the morning after he wakes up, but for the rest of the day, he cries and fusses. Holding him helps sometimes, but not always. My guess is that he is overtired and needs to nap, but he naps very little during the day - maybe three 20-minute naps at most.

Any ideas what might be causing the fussiness or on how to get him to nap?

ParkersMom602

Asked by ParkersMom602 at 3:50 PM on Sep. 15, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• sometimes you gotta be hard with your kids, and maybe if you let him cry or fuss around he'll see that nobody is payin attention to him..
    mamiglow

Answer by mamiglow at 3:52 PM on Sep. 15, 2008

• Is he FF or BF?
    dragonflylovr19

Answer by dragonflylovr19 at 3:56 PM on Sep. 15, 2008

• I definitely DO NOT think the first response is acceptable to do to a 3 month old, maybe a 3 year old.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:59 PM on Sep. 15, 2008

• When my kids where fussy, I would lay them on the kitchen counter on their tummy. They sell a thing that prevents them from rolling over. Get a few blankets to make it soft, and lay him on his tummy, and because he's up high, he can see you, and hear you. He may dose off, but your right around, so he isn't in danger of sleeping on his tummy.
    barrettboys

Answer by barrettboys at 4:00 PM on Sep. 15, 2008

• Check to see if your son has colic. Colichy babies tend to fuss, they have some gas reliever drops totally safe for infants. You could find it a any drug store, Duane Reade, CVS, or walmart. You could try it out, or ask his doctor if you may need to change his milk. Some formula may be to strong for some little tummies.
    Natesmom0308

Answer by Natesmom0308 at 4:01 PM on Sep. 15, 2008

• We decided to let ours fuss it out. Eventually they fall asleep. If you hold him constantly you are going to get him to a point where he can't console himself. If your daughter is tired we wrap her in a sort of swaddle but her legs aren't in it and put her in her swing and let her whine herself to sleep. There she will sleep a while. If it is gas the Mylicon gas drops or the generic are a miraculous thing (I don't know who invented them but I bow down). Good luck!!
    coala

Answer by coala at 4:10 PM on Sep. 15, 2008

• He could be teething. I have noticed that my son, who is never fussy unless he is hungry, has been more so lately. He has been drooling a lot more than normal and puts his hands in his mouth constantly. If he is teething, there is not too much you can do about it. You can always talk to your doctor about it at the next checkup.
    ap9902

Answer by ap9902 at 4:50 PM on Sep. 15, 2008

• My four month old does that and if it is Gas I use Milacon drops Its a gas relief for infants it worked right away For Troy... Other times he is just bored and needs something new to play with
    Lauren9006

Answer by Lauren9006 at 6:16 PM on Sep. 15, 2008

• yeah feed him change the baby dipper or lay him on your lap and rub the baby back he might have to burb
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:12 PM on Sep. 15, 2008

• Thanks everyone!
    ParkersMom602

Answer by ParkersMom602 at 10:28 AM on Sep. 17, 2008