Long stretch between wet diapers...when should I worry?

My 3month old DS ate at 10pm last night & then fell asleep. He slept the whole night, so I woke him up at 6am to eat since it had been awhile. When I did so I went to change his diaper & it was still dry. It had been almost 9hrs since his last diaper change! When should I worry about him not peeing enough? Yesterday he had 4 poopie diapers & seemingly normal wet diapers & except that long stretch this morning he ate every 3-4hrs. So this long stretch without a wet diaper leaves me concerned about possible dehydration or urinary problems. Is it normal for infants to sometimes go that long or am I right to be worried?

WannabeMommy87

Asked by WannabeMommy87 at 9:48 AM on Jan. 27, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It's probably a fluke; this happened with DD and she was right around that age. And it was at night, too; she woke up with a dry diaper and I worried, but it went back to normal and didn;'t happen again. I think that as long as she is wetting enough within a whole 24 hours, it's okay.
    threeeunder3

Answer by threeeunder3 at 9:54 AM on Jan. 27, 2010

• You don't say if your baby is breast or formula fed.

Disposable diapers can absorb pee and feel dry. Since you are concerned you can put a tissue or some toilet paper or something in the diaper and then you will know if that's wet then the baby did urinate.

If you are breastfeeding, I wouldn't be worried. Since the baby had 4 stools yesterday that means the baby was getting plenty. Even if the baby didn't get enough milk last night one night won't matter. It takes a significant illness before a baby becomes dehydrated. The breastfeeding babies in Haiti are doing OK.

Most moms would be happy their baby went from 10-6 without nursing. Many babies are forced to go that long or longer without eating. I would wake a 3 mo up in the middle of the night to nurse. I think that is too long to go without nursing and it would be too long for my breasts.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 9:56 AM on Jan. 27, 2010

• My daughter has started doing this on occasion. She'll go the whole night without peeing. Not every night, but I'd say at least once a week. She pees plenty during the day so I don't worry about it. My daughter is 5 months now but she started doing this probably when she was around 3.5 or 4 months old.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 10:08 AM on Jan. 27, 2010

• You need to be seeing 6 wet diapers a day. Don't worry until you see less than 6 wet diapers daily.

The last post is correct in saying that disposable diapers sometimes do such a great job absorbing that your baby may be wetting the diapers and you just can't tell.

If your baby is small enough to wear size 1's, get some Pampers Sensitive Swaddlers. They have a yellow line that turns blue when wet. They're great.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 10:08 AM on Jan. 27, 2010

• I do not breastfeed but I do still feed on demand, with the exception of waking him up from time to time to feed him if he's been asleep for long (like last night). He also just went up to size 2 diapers, so we no longer have the luxury of the changing line. I supose he could have gone & the diapers just did a really good job, but I highly doubt it since it was still light as can be as well. He did pee after his feeding at 6am this morning though, so maybe it was just a fluke.
    WannabeMommy87

Answer by WannabeMommy87 at 10:22 AM on Jan. 27, 2010

• My baby is four months old and breastfeed and she often will go the whole night without a pee (eight hours) even though she wakes up to feed then resumes sleep. I call her the mornign fountain because once she's awake for the morning she pees a boatload within a couple of hours. I honestly don't know where she puts it all!
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 11:17 AM on Jan. 27, 2010