How much cash does San Francisco pay the homeless, (back in 2002 it was at least $320)?

Back in 2002, "State law requires counties to provide at least $320 in cash or services to qualified poor or disabled homeless individuals. San Francisco pays cash, ranging from $320 to $395 per month. The City and non-profit agencies also provide housing, shelter, and meal services to some homeless individuals."

There was a vote to lower the amount of cash and give more care in "The Care Not Cash Initiative" back in 2002.

Does anyone know how much cash homeless are currently getting?

What are your thoughts on this?

thundernlight

Asked by thundernlight at 9:53 AM on Jan. 27, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• http://www.smartvoter.org/2002/11/05/ca/sf/meas/N/

this is a link with more information from 2002 and the proposed initiative.

thundernlight

Answer by thundernlight at 9:56 AM on Jan. 27, 2010

• It's stupid to give them cash. I don't know about anything new or different right now.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 11:01 AM on Jan. 27, 2010

• OMG!!! Yes! Wonderful Idea! Let's give all the Bums in California $350/month, housing, and 3 square meals a day! I think I'll quit my job and move there! What a DEAL!!!! THEN - I could still panhandle for money and get my buzz on all day drinking booze and pee in the street! BECAUSE IT IS SAN FRANCISCO and no LIB will bother me or judge me! No one will tell me to pee in the restroom and get a job - that would be too harsh!!!

CLASSIC!!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:50 AM on Jan. 27, 2010

• If they get paid - they should be working. Picking up trash in the roads, recycling, etc...and someone should be supervising. Maybe pay someone a little more to be the supervisor. and they should have to log in hours just like community service.

No WONDER why CA is broke!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:53 AM on Jan. 27, 2010

• PAID? HUH?

confused

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:54 AM on Jan. 27, 2010

• Last I read there were OVER 35,000 homeless in San Francisco...... If this is true and there really are over 35,000 homeless. YIKES!
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 12:20 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• yes, grlygrlz2 - this is true. I don't know how much they are getting in cash now, but I don't think much has changed. Also, If you've ever been to this city, you can see first hand how many homeless people there are and what they do all day!

Like someone said above - I guess this explains why CA is soo broke.
    thundernlight

Answer by thundernlight at 1:16 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• What???? They are homeless, therefore, no rent or utilities, and they get food, shelter, etc from the county and various charities, wouldn't the money be better spent by either some job training, or giving to the charities? They are just throwing the money away on more entitlements.
    29again

Answer by 29again at 4:42 PM on Jan. 27, 2010