How Can I Gently Teach My 6 Week Old Baby To Sleep In Her Crib?

I know this is the age old question, but does anyone have an answer? I haven't put my baby in the crib in her room yet. I have a portable crib in our bedroom that I'm trying to get her to use. When she's sleeping after feedings in the day I try to put her in it for naps. She either wakes up fully and screams as soon as I lay her down, or naps for 20 minutes then screams. I have two toddlers so I really need my baby to sleep a least a couple naps a day in her crib. At night she is sleeping in bed with me. I'm just way too tired by night time to try a bedtime battle.

She won't take a pacifier and doesn't have any sleep associations, such as rocking. Anyone have a gentle, effective bedtime routine that works for young babies?

ThrivingMom

Asked by ThrivingMom at 10:05 AM on Jan. 27, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Sleep with a blanket or put something by baby that has your smell. It is a comofort for them.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:07 AM on Jan. 27, 2010

• I've tried the smell trick...hasn't worked at all. I even put my night gown that I slept in the previous night in there with her.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 10:10 AM on Jan. 27, 2010

• Why do you NEED her to nap in a crib. I had 3 kids and was a single mom after the youngest was born and never felt the need for him to nap in a crib. I needed to rest holding him while he napped or laying with him. If that wasn't possible he could nap in the sling. I didn't even own a crib.

Sleeping with your baby is great and its so easy for nursing. You and the baby smell each other's pheromones since you are close and get in similar sleep cycles so you aren't in a deep sleep when baby needs to eat. If the baby was in another room it would disturb your sleep much more. There is no advantage to the baby or mother of having a baby sleep in a crib in another room.

None of my kids ever took a pacifier since they were breastfed.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 10:12 AM on Jan. 27, 2010

• At night she is sleeping in bed with me. I'm just way too tired by night time to try a bedtime battle.
    -----------------------------
    here...........no consistency with sleep times. you're just confusing her imo. bedtime battles with last till around the age of 10 if you don't make a decision today where this baby of yours is going to sleep.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 10:26 AM on Jan. 27, 2010

• Check out the no cry sleep solution.  It suses things like a consistent and early bedtime, consistent routine, and a gentle way of teaching your child to sleep. 

Also - do you swaddle her?  being extra snug will help with the jerking awake when you set her down.

TiffanyMarie80

Answer by TiffanyMarie80 at 10:43 AM on Jan. 27, 2010

• What always worked for my kids was something that smelled like me, a "hearbeat" bear (white noise machine will accomplish the same goal, or even a noisy ceiling fan - which reduces the risk of SIDS from my recent reading), and a lovey (his is a blanket bear, but he didn't start getting attached to that until close to 4 months). Routine and consistency is very important.
    When you lay her down, have you let her cry for 3-5 minutes? Some kids just need to cry to get themselves to sleep, although I don't advocate CIO anywhere close to her age!
    My kids always slept in their crib from the first night we were home from the hospital. It is possible, and I believe it results in better sleep for mom and baby. For naps - have you tried keeping her in the room where you are? Mine took their naps in the playpen in the room where all the noise was and like it rather than the dark/quiet room.

Answer by missanc at 11:03 AM on Jan. 27, 2010

• A baby doesn't HAVE to sleep in a crib. My baby is four months and has slept with me at night since birth. During the day she sleeps wherever she happens to be in the same room I happen to be in. She can sleep in a sling/wrap (so i have hands free) while I go about my business, or in her infant to toddler rocker seat which she sleeps very well in, or on the floor, or in the middle of a bed, etc etc. She knows the difference between night and day because we are active during the day, and mellow at night. I have our crib set up side car style next to our bed (its a convertable crib) to give us extra room, but she hasn't even slept in it yet...I use it as a huge end table right now!

If you are going to put her down wait until she is in a deep sleep. Babies have much shorter sleep cycles than adults. Wait for limp limbs, steady breathing, fully relaxed face before putting her down. that is deep sleep.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 11:08 AM on Jan. 27, 2010

• If you are going to put her somewhere that is open and vast (like the floor or crib) then be sure she is swaddled so she feels warm, safe, and secure. If you let her sleep where you are, you may see that during light sleep she will wake (this is normal) look around for you, decide it is safe, and go back to sleep. Every baby has unique sleep patterns just like adults do. If you work with the baby's cues and needs, you won't be training, but encouraging her own sleep routine which I think is far more successful.

amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 11:11 AM on Jan. 27, 2010

• Since you have 3 kids your time is already divided. Sleeping with your baby and wearing your baby in a sling gives your baby that closeness your baby needs. Mothers have done it throughout time and mothers in most of the world sleep with their babies. You don't want your baby attached to blankets or sound bears, you want your baby attached to you.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 11:59 AM on Jan. 27, 2010

• just make her sleep time EXCLUSIVE crib time. don't let her sleep anywhere else but the crib (naps and bedtime I mean).

hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 12:20 PM on Jan. 27, 2010