What are some "must haves" when it comes to flying?

We're going on vacation in just a few weeks and I'm getting really nervous, it is my first time flying with my DD (she's almost two).

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:28 AM on Jan. 27, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• A dvd player. That is the only thing you will need besides snacks, diapers, travel docs and such. We flew recently with our 18 month old, three year old and ten year old. We brought sooo much stuff, and the only thing they were interested in was the dvd player. I would also make sure to bring their favorite lovey.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 11:30 AM on Jan. 27, 2010

• -extra set of clothes for your little one.
    -an extra shirt for you.
    -2 blankets (i have used them a vomit shields before lol)
    -gallon zip lock bags... to store messy clothes or diapers if needed)
    -get a few new toys at the dollar store, so your child has something new and exciting to play with
    -some sugar free lollipops (if your child is old enough) i gave them to my daughter during take off... to help with ear popping
    -a handful of new foam earplugs... as soon as i get to my seat... i turn to everyone around me and say "if my daughter wont
    stop crying, i have ear plugs for all of you" everyone ususually laughs and is grateful for my consideration. lol
    -i usually bring two bags for my daughter... a diaper bag full of diapers, clothes etc (boring stuff lol) and a backpack filled with snacks and toys (fun stuff)
    -milk! most airlines dont provide during in flight services and buying it at the airport is expensive!
    IGotLuckyInKy

Answer by IGotLuckyInKy at 11:36 AM on Jan. 27, 2010

• i have flown 12 times with my daughter... 10 of those times.. i did it alone. i have had mainly wonderful flights... and just a few disasterous flights... always be prepared for the worse... so you are never caught off guard... i once had my daughter vomit on 2 back up outfits... then have explosive poop in her stroller during a lay over in vegas. lol. and we missed family boarding because i had to go clean the poop out of her stroller... i cried the whole flight... thankfully i was only on the plane for an hour... lol good luck.
    IGotLuckyInKy

Answer by IGotLuckyInKy at 11:41 AM on Jan. 27, 2010

• whoa.... you dont need too much. we fly a lot and i have an 18 month old and almost 5month old. the 5 month old only needs necessities: bottle, pacifier, diapers, and maybe a change of clothes just in case. for the 18 month old, i bring a couple snacks, her sippy cup, a book, 4 crayons and papers, and maybe one or 2 small toys. make sure she is drinking or eating something when you take off and land... which will help her ears pop. we also brought my computer and played some of her sesame street sing-a-longs (sometimes she is interested, sometimes not). just be prepared for some fits, but it will be fine. i also made sure i had my lipgloss and some of my purse items handy to distract her when i saw a fit coming on! good luck.
    DRM0329

Answer by DRM0329 at 12:03 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• We brought Bendaroos on our last flight. They kept my kids occupied the whole time. We even shared with other kids on the plane. The reason they were such a hit, was that they had never seen them before. Also, snacks that they normally wouldn't have, like m&ms and swedish fish. Definitely a change of clothes and baggy and wipes. My son vomited one time. It was gross. Good luck!
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 12:20 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• Don't forget the change of clothes for you and them...we got stuck overnight without bags once last year with our 1 yr old and she puked all over both of us right before we got stuck. Other than that - dvd player and milk and you'll be all set!
    Val1313

Answer by Val1313 at 12:56 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• We have the Cares harness vs. a carseat on the plane. We check/rent the carseat and then the harness is used. Check itout, it's great!
    lynnard

Answer by lynnard at 12:05 AM on Jan. 28, 2010