Dr. said pregnancy was not viable friday and now he changed his mind? Help!

Ok, I have had three kids already and never had to endure this amount of stress. I have been asking questions about my hcg levels and you all have been great help, so I was hoping you could give me your opinion again. Last week my hcg went from 5700 on monday and then to 10000 on friday. On friday I was 4 weeks 6 days. Dr. did an ultrasound (with a prehistoric ultrasound machine) and could see the gestational sac and a bright white thing that looked like a grain of rice, with gray matter along the side of the sac. He said that he didn't think that the pregnancy was viable because previously my hcg level had dropped by 3000 units. However he decided to dismiss that lab work because he didn't realize it was done at a different lab. Then yesterday an ultrasound showed gray spread out with a new 'flicker' like a heartbeat? he said it was fetal circulation and that it may be a normal early pregnancy? What did you see this early?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:30 AM on Jan. 27, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Ask to go to the hospital or somewhere that has a good ultrasound machine. You shouldn't have to go through all this.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 11:33 AM on Jan. 27, 2010

• I would go to a diff doc asap, or go to the hosp
    good luck
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 11:35 AM on Jan. 27, 2010

• We saw the sac at 5 weeks, and saw small "poles" with heart beats at 7 weeks. It sounds like he was basing the "not viable" conclusion on lab reports that might not have been comparable, but everything else appears normal and on schedule. I think I would ask for a better ultrasound too to help ease your worries. GL!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:38 AM on Jan. 27, 2010

• i would get a different doctor, explain what happened, and get a good ultrasound.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:54 AM on Jan. 27, 2010

• at 5 weeks we didn't see anything! Then at 8 weeks it was a healthy little sac with a heartbeat! Go to the hospital explain what you need and tell them how you are feeling, get a new ultrasound so you are at ease and know whats going on, most doctors wait until at least 8 weeks now to do an ultrasound, so maybe wait until 8 weeks and go get a new ultrasound. Good luck!
    Anonymous

• At 4-5 weeks you wont see too much, I had an ultrasound done at 5 weeks and all we saw was a sac. Nothing else...no heartbeat, no grey matter nothing...so I am going to assume that what you guys saw was pretty normal. I had bleeding early in pregnancy, so the MD ordered an ultrasound, i had another one done 3 weeks later and that is when we saw a heartbeat nad heard one at that.
    MaiasMommy619

Answer by MaiasMommy619 at 1:01 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• he should have sent you to a hospital to get a much better ultrasound. however if your labs went down i would've told you the same thing. he's just trying to let you know the facts as he sees them. gl
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 1:01 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• Thanks ladies...The doctor I have actually has a great reputation. However, he did let me go two weeks overdue with my son dispite the fact that I said he was a huge baby. We did a vaginal delivery of my ten pound son because dr. refused to do an ultrasound to evaluate his size. My son got stuck and we almost had to push him back in! No, no babies don't go back in! As far as this pregnancy? I agree with all of you, I need to change doctors. I made an appointment with another doctor that also has a great reputation and with a mid-wife because I am hopeing that she will view 'me' as the expert in my pregnancy. We may not be doctors but we usually know our bodies pretty well. I am just going to focus on the positive elements of my life and wait until next week. The reality is that 'it is what it is'. I just pray that it's healthy :) Thanks again and I wish you all the best!
    Anonymous