Silicone Implants that are 20 years old and ruptured.

I know the doctors tell me the silicone is not dangerous, but I feel different and confused. Why when I research it, there are red flags all over the place. I am scared because I have taken my time to see about having surgery to remove them due to the high cost. I am trying to see how much insurance will cover due to the fact that I have a huge lump, the implants are disentegrating and leaking into lymph nodes. I hear one story that it's nothing to worry about and then another that silicone in body is bad and hurry and get them out. Who is right? Also, is there anyone that would help me fight the issue that these are causing problems and anyway to get any kind of compensation. This would be the 4th surgery due to these stupid things. I hate that doctors don't tell you all the facts when you choose to do this kind of surgery. I remember in 89 when I asked if I would have to redo the implants, my doctor and his nurse laughed.ugh

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:39 AM on Jan. 27, 2010 in Health

• from my understanding from a good friend that gave me her advice and information they have to be replaced every 10 years.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:46 AM on Jan. 27, 2010

• I hope you find the help you need. A good place to start would probably be a new Dr. . Have them looked at, find out what needs to be done and then consult an attorney. Make sure you have everything in order so you can give the attorney all the information. GL..
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 11:49 AM on Jan. 27, 2010

• You sound exactly like my Aunt. She had hers done in the late 80's and has had 4-6 surgeries on them. She has been involved in a law suit for the last 5 years over them, but she hasn't seen any money yet.

If they are leaking, then you need to get them out. I would see a new doctor, and see about getting them replaced. Your insurance may pay for the removal, but probably wouldn't pay for new implants, unless your doctor can spin it as reconstructive surgery.

The PP that said that they need to be replaced every 10 years is right.
    twin_mommy

Answer by twin_mommy at 12:12 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• There was internet and PCs in 89 and it was easy to get info. You probably signed something that told you all the bad things that could happen but didn't think it could happen to you. It sucks that you are having problems but you have to take personal responsibility.

I had pulmonary emboli in both of my lungs. I should have died. It may have been from the birth control pills I was taking for ovarian cysts. It could have been from an IV port I have in my chest to get medications. It could be from an IV medication I get for immune deficiencies every 3 weeks that makes blood sticky. I knew blood clots were a possibility from all three but the chances were very small. Even most doctors don't know about the sticky blood thing. Yes, I had emboli from things I gave permission for but I don't blame doctors.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 12:19 PM on Jan. 27, 2010