sleep walking

My 6 year old son has been sleep walking for the last few years. In the last year it has been getting worse and now its to the point were he sleep walks everynight. We have to put a chair up against the door so if he tries to go outside we will here him because he went right out side in the pouring rain one night and we couldnt find him. I now sleep in the livingroom almost the whole night so that I will be there for him if he gets up. Is there anything I can do for him? I have an appointment with his doc and they are going to refere him for a sleep study but even with that I'm afriad that there is nothing they can do for him. He sleeps 11 hours a night and is always soo tired. Does anyone elses child do this? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

4hens

Asked by 4hens at 11:44 AM on Jan. 27, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Put locks on the door that are really high up. Get an alarm system that will go off if he opens the doors leading out side. Put some sort of alarm on his bedroom door that will alert you.

Answer by louise2 at 12:00 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• My kids were never sleep walkers, but my oldest has autism and was an escapee for a while. We put sliding locks on the doors going outside as tall as I could reach, put a pushbutton keyed lock on the back sliding glass door, and put alarms on both the windows and doors that beep when you open them (they are less expensive than an alarm system). Good luck!

Answer by missanc at 1:01 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• We put chain locks up high on all the doors and those battery operated alarms on the windows. My 6 year old daughter is the sleep walker at our house. We can have entire conversations with her, they are usually bizarre too. It freaks us out. I did the same thing when I was a kid. The good news is that they grow out of it. My daughter is at the point where she is doing it less. Less walking, but more sleep talking.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 3:36 PM on Jan. 28, 2010