Would you have your breasts removed to prevent cancer?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:46 AM on Jan. 27, 2010 in Health

• None of you can honestly say what you would do when told you have the BRCA gene and you watched your mom die of breast cancer. I breast fed my first 3 children. My mom breast fed her children too. My mom was healthy and did everything right she had the gene and got breast cancer it was aggressive but she sadly did what many women do and tried to save her breasts and had a lumectomy and radiation. The tumor was not fully removed and she had to have chemo later and it did not save her life. Had she opted for a mastectomy her she probably would be alive today or would have been with us longer. So when I was tested it was a no brainer I would have the surgery done. During my mastectomy precancerous cells were found. It could have been many years before I got it but why risk it. My last child did have to be bottle fed my healthiest child yet. My kids still have me and that is more important.
    Anonymous

• yes
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 11:47 AM on Jan. 27, 2010

• yes, my life with my family is more important to me than my breasts
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 11:48 AM on Jan. 27, 2010

• no, not to prevent. if i had it, then yes.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:49 AM on Jan. 27, 2010

• Not to prevent it. That is like removing my eyes to prevent blindness or getting a hysterectomy just because of the possibility of this or that. You might as well get everything removed since cancer can be ANYWHERE,
    babycakes254

Answer by babycakes254 at 11:53 AM on Jan. 27, 2010

• yes if it ran in my family. My hubbys family has a histroy of uterine cancer and the girls all around there late 40's get them remove to prevent this.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:54 AM on Jan. 27, 2010

• My ex sil had breast cancer, she then had a double mastectomy. It was a hard decision for her to make but she has been cancer free for 5 yrs now... Myself, I don't know what I would do, I would have to be in the situation first to know...
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 11:54 AM on Jan. 27, 2010

• No, not to prevent. That does not always work. But if I had cancer in one breast and they wanted to remove one I would tell them to remove them both.

Answer by louise2 at 11:55 AM on Jan. 27, 2010

• If my risk was high enough. I have a family history of breast cancer. My mom had it in her 40's. My grandma had it as well. I've already had a mammogram & it was fine but if I did that blood test that shows the gene for it & it was positive I would probably do it. Mine are pretty small anyway..not liked I'd miss them lol
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:55 AM on Jan. 27, 2010

• No.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 12:03 PM on Jan. 27, 2010